Auschwitz

Went about 15 years ago, harrowing experience but also a really well done museum.

Sad thing is it's still happening today in some form

Just been on the tour of Auschwitz and Birkenau and what a truly harrowing and haunting experience it was.

The horrors that went on here were unimaginable and were a stain on humanity.

I’d like to say never ever again but with the rise of the fat right across the world who knows.

RIP all those who died or suffered at the hands of their perpetrators.
Did you go in the room with all the pictures? I didn’t find it harrowing my feelings were of just dismay.

Went to Dachau with my older son years ago. As others say, it’s a very sad and thought-provoking experience.

Why do people go? In part, I think it’s a small way to show respect to those who suffered. A bit like visiting the war cemeteries in Northern France. Both bring home the sheer scale of what went on.

Mankind doesn’t learn though.

I went to Auschwitz in December 6 years ago and the weather was pretty awful. An icy cold gale, so as you can imagine, that really set the scene for how hideous it must have been, especially when we were at Birkenau with that horrible wind howling across it. We were layered up to the eyeballs and still struggling, so to imagine what those poor people must have gone through, on top of the most horrific situations, really hit home.
I've been fascinated with the place ever since. Obviously I knew about it and remember some of it from school, but to then go and actually be part of it, stand where some of the most horrific things have happened, is a feeling you can't really explain, but for some strange, unexplainable reason, I'm drawn to experiencing these feelings again, and want to go back now that I've read up a lot more about it and watched more documentaries etc.

I'm currently reading 'Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account. "When the Nazis invaded Hungary in 1944, they sent virtually the entire Jewish population to Auschwitz. A Jew and a medical doctor, Dr. Miklos Nyiszli was spared from death for a grimmer fate: to perform “scientific research” on his fellow inmates under the supervision of the infamous “Angel of Death”: Dr. Josef Mengele. Nyiszli was named Mengele’s personal research pathologist. Miraculously, he survived to give this terrifying and sobering account."

Son of Saul is a pretty grim film to watch too.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/londo...harrowing-look-inside-auschwitz-a3236651.html

And I absolutely agree that this is a place you should visit. No doubt about it.

I really enjoy the history of WWII and I’ve always felt that a visit to Auschwitz will be the only place to experience the feeling of the that era. I’ve been to the killing fields in Phnom Penh so I can probably relate to the feeling people get when they go to Auschwitz. Hard to believe that the Nazi’s only committed these atrocities 75 years ago. Pol Pot carrying out the mass murder in the killing fields in the 70’s is even more unbelievable. I don’t often like the use of mobile phones and social media, but it’s one good thing that it has brought to the world is the exposure it gives. Not a chance anything like them two places could exist again.

You've read in it in a book
Seen it on a TV screen
To you it's a nightmare
But to some it's a dream
They think the ness was thicker
Behind the union jack
You'd better watch out brothers
They're heading for a comeback
Remember Belsen, remember Auschwitz
They're trying to say they didn't exist
Don't let 'em put this country in chains

Amazingly at work a couple of weeks ago an Albanian lad said to me 'Auschwitz you know' I told him of course I did. He then explained to me that the two Romanian lads stood with him had no idea about it. He showed them pictures of Hitler on his phone and they were still clueless. We could not believe it.
Now I know Romania was part of the axis but for two lads from there not to know who Hitler is, is jaw dropping. I wonder has World war 2 been wiped from Romanian history.
Does anyone know what German children are taught on the subject?

Last edited:
Amazingly at work a couple of weeks ago an Albanian lad said to me 'Auschwitz you know' I told him of course I did. He then explained to me that the two Romanian lads stood with him had no idea about it. He showed them pictures of Hitler on his phone and they were still clueless. We could not believe it.
Now I know Romania was part of the axis but for two lads from their not to know who Hitler is, is jaw dropping. I wonder has World war 2 been wiped from Romanian history.
Does anyone know what German children are taught on the subject?
Probably more than we are about how we treated the First Nations when we went over to the Americas, Australasia, Africa...

We built concentration camps in Kenya less than a decade after WW2.

Not a chance anything like them two places could exist again.
Since the killing fields, off the top of my head:
Yugoslavia
Rwanda
China
Isis
Chechnia
Syria
Libya
Nigeria
Mexico

sadly, plenty of places where one set of humans treats another set of humans as little more than pests

Have looked at visiting Krakow as heard nothing but good reports and would visit even though it would be extremely difficult. The line in the song Green Fields of France seems apt;
"Man's blind indifference to his fellow man"
Shocking to think this is still in living memory for many and what has been learnt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.