Auschwitz

You absolutely should. For me and I suspect most visitors it’s not really about the learning but more about just being in the place it happened and it giving you a greater sense of scale and helps you to truly understand the numbers. I was in Kraków for just 3 days but spent essentially an entire day there and I’m very glad I did. Didn’t put a dampener on the rest of the break either if you’re concerned about that.
Thanks it was the dampner on the rest of our break I was thinking off , think I was always going just a nagging doubt. How did you spend the other days, did you do the salt mines?

I’m away for a short break in Krakow in January. My first thought is I should do the Auschwitz visit, but at the back of my mind is the thought will visiting Auschwitz teach me anything I don’t already know. Guess what I’m asking is why in your opinion do you think it’s worthwhile putting my wife and myself through such a harrowing experience on a short break away?

I think it's more that what you read about it doesn't actually do the size and scale of it any justice. For that alone i think it's worth it, no amount of books or documentaries you watch will ever make you realise the size, scale and just sheer horror of it. It smells different, sounds different. My words can't give it justice mate.

I'm really glad that i went and i personally would recommend it to anyone but i also would never ever want to go back.

Thanks it was the dampner on the rest of our break I was thinking off , think I was always going just a nagging doubt. How did you spend the other days, did you do the salt mines?

The night of our visit to Auschwitz was a quiet one, we arrived Wednesday night and went to Auschwitz first thing Thursday. On the Friday we'd thought about going to the salt mines but decided we'd do that next time so we stayed around the main square and then went to the church of St Peter and Paul's as there's a classical concert on in the evening, excellent value for £12.

I wouldn't say it will put a dampener on your visit but you will reflect on it.

An Understandable worry. Didn’t impact us but I suppose everyone is different. Could always leave it until your last day if it’s a concern. We went to Auschwitz on our second of three days. Went first thing from our hotel in Kraków doing both sites and got back to our hotel around tea time so it’s a lengthy visit and takes a big portion of your trip if you’re on a short stay. we was going to book the salt mines when we booked Auschwitz but the missus didn’t fancy being tied down to an itinerary for 2 days so we skipped it in the end although I hear it’s quite interesting.

We personally spent the remaining time mainly just wandering and soaking up the city with no real plan which suited us, there’s plenty to see, we wandered down to the castle before coming back up through the old town where they had some kind of market/event going on so we spent some time there and before we knew it it was night time and we went on the hunt for a nice place to eat.

Off to Katowice and then Krakow on Saturday,would appreciate any tips.
Walking Tour - https://freewalkingtour.com/krakow/ a few different options, I went on the 'Old Town' was really good and you just tip the tour guide at the end.
Auschwitz - Krakow Direct, picked up from our apartment and dropped us back and includes all your travel there and getting in etc.
Miod Malina - Restaurant, superb food and drink. Cheap (compared with UK) but very very good.
Free Now (Taxi) - Basically Uber but its in countries where Uber doesn't have a presence. Very cheap and felt safer using this around the city and from the airport etc than jumping in a cab outside.
Wodka Bar - Vodka Bar, enough said. Really recommend the tasting tray or whatever they called it!
Bull Pub - just down the road from Wodka bar, a decent pub with plenty of TV's so will have the football on if you want to watch it!

Also, get yourself on the Bird bikes or the other red ones you see laying about. Super cheap and nice and easy to fly across the town or just go for a cruise about (might be age dependent!)

I’m away for a short break in Krakow in January. My first thought is I should do the Auschwitz visit, but at the back of my mind is the thought will visiting Auschwitz teach me anything I don’t already know. Guess what I’m asking is why in your opinion do you think it’s worthwhile putting my wife and myself through such a harrowing experience on a short break away?

I went for 4 days in September and whilst Auschwitz-Birkenau was a sobering experience, it didn’t dampen the rest of the trip. Krakow’s a superb place. Great main square, the Jewish Quarter is full of good bars, the Salt Mine’s tour was good (although I’d steer clear of trying to cram the Salt Mine tour in on the same day as a trip to Auschwitz), and so was the tour of Oskar Schindler’s old factory, now converted into a museum dedicated to the war years (including the story behind Schindler’s List). If you want an additional, slightly quirky, trip, then the ‘communist’ tour of Nowa Huta, a model town built on the edge of Krakow by the Soviets for propaganda purposes, was decent as well. They pick you up in a Trabant for added authenticity. I’d recommend the upgrade including the Soviet restaurant visit....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...bile_from_Krakow-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Pr.html

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.