Ballon d'Or 2023 | Haaland finishes 2nd

The bbc football page tells you all you need to know about what their web editorial team think of City.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, yes not a mention.
It’s quite embarrassing that a company as big as the BBC can devolve into the bitterness it has when it comes to the sport department.
We have every right to fuck them off completely.
Won’t hold my breath.

4 of his 7 goals were penalties.

He got beat by Saudi Arabia.

It’s a great achievement but if it was an award for the player who had the best season last year it should have either been Haaland or Alvarez.
I love Julian but he doesn't deserve to be even in the discussion. This award doesn't go to the guy that won the most, but the player that had the best individual season. It was either Messi or Haaland. Seeing how the WC was always the biggest deciding factor in WC seasons, I understand why Messi won it. I would have been fine with Haaland winning it too. I don't think anyone can scream robbery either way.

For which he was awarded player of the tournament, look at the rest of his season and by his own standards, he was shite
He won trophies with 3 different teams. Best WC ever. Historic 20/20 season in France. Won a tittle with the worst team in the MLS. Had more goal contributions than Haaland. He wasn't shite at all.

I always find the most interesting/telling thing about these awards is the players that come in places 5-30. I think those are the places that are less affected by history/popularity/media. And we have totally monopolized those positions. And, of only 3 defenders on the list, we have 2.

So, I feel like there is plenty to celebrate. Every award like this is pretty much a scam in some way!

I too find them interesting but for different reasons. Nobody votes for their top 30, It's top 5 which means for every single player in the top 30, at least 1 person had them in their top 5.

I just cannot imagine how a large portion of that top 30 get into anybodies top 5. Not to single him out as this can be applied to a lot if not most of them but who are the people who think Yassine Bounou was in the top 5 players on the world last season? They shouldn't have a job in the football industry with opinions like that.

I love Julian but he doesn't deserve to be even in the discussion. This award doesn't go to the guy that won the most, but the player that had the best individual season. It was either Messi or Haaland. Seeing how the WC was always the biggest deciding factor in WC seasons, I understand why Messi won it. I would have been fine with Haaland winning it too. I don't think anyone can scream robbery either way.
It’s because the award is meant to cover 12 months of consistency not one.

Maradona's 86 WC run is overrated because of the game vs England (he played great vs Belgium too) but he had a couple of games where he did next to nothing. Messi scored and won MOTM every single game in '22 except one.
The rest of the Argentina side in 86 was bobbins. The closest I've seen to someone carrying a team to a World Cup since was Baggio in 94.

Alavarez had a better World Cup than Messi and it would have been a lot more comfortable for them if they'd realised he was better than Martinez earlier on. If it's just about the World Cup, Mbappe should have won it. Messi was average by his standards for PSG and has spent half the year since in retirement.

An award given on sentimentality

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.