Ballon d'Or 2023 | Haaland finishes 2nd

He wins the champions league and he should do.
I don’t buy this ‘Messi won the World Cup’ so he should win it.
How many players have won it without winning the World Cup?
Give it to a new superstar, not a farmer ; )

I think Messi is nailed on. World cup win and all that.

The cynic in me think he wins it so the MLS can promote the notion that they have the current world's best player playing in their league, and with the world cup being part held in the US in 2026 it will be an addition to the growth of the sport.

I think Messi is nailed on. World cup win and all that.

The cynic in me think he wins it so the MLS can promote the notion that they have the current world's best player playing in their league, and with the world cup being part held in the US in 2026 it will be an addition to the growth of the sport.

That's an interesting take. I'm half-convinced. It's all about business and bucks these days, anyway.

Here lies the problem.
City voting will be split between Erling and Kevin.

Messi a shoe-in this year...

This Messi thing... my god people are obsessed.

They're not going to give it to someone, who's won it countless times, is off to tetirement football, who hasn't even been that good in the league, just because he won a world cup - out of sentiment!

Not when there have been better players. Many many better players.

Disregard my own comparison, I got my first comparison wrong.

So yes, I want and believe that Haaland should get this next Balon d’Or, because comparing before the age of 23…

Messi scored 186 goals. Haaland scored more than 200 so far.

Messi did fewer hattricks than Haaland at that age. Currently Haaland is on 17.
All good but you forget that Messi was not (still isn't) even a striker when he scored those goals. He is a playmaker. But without any comparison with Messi , haaland would win it if we win the UCL. Personally, if I had a chance, I would vote for KDB :)

Last edited:
Erling hat-trick in the final would make them look very silly not giving it to him. He would then have had a significantly better season than Benzema last year. But even he does score in the final I am not sure the European football world want to be seen celebrating a club they tried to skewer in the courts, a fanbase that hates them and boos their jingle and a player not called Messi or Ronaldo.

This Messi thing... my god people are obsessed.

They're not going to give it to someone, who's won it countless times, is off to tetirement football, who hasn't even been that good in the league, just because he won a world cup - out of sentiment!

Not when there have been better players. Many many better players.

Completely agree. And I suppose you would agree with me in adding the rider at this point? I mean, the Messi of thirteen years ago, obviously. The Messi of six years ago, fine. Hell, even the Messi of three years ago… maybe.
But now?! What the actual? He didn't win the World Cup on his own, and in any case it's a tournament which takes place every four years, for four weeks, and in which he's done very little up to last December.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.