Ballon d'Or 2023 | Haaland finishes 2nd

Messi hasn’t been the best for several years now …. I was happy for him and Argentina to win the World Cup but let’s be fair the standard of even the better teams in that were Europa League maybe on the fringes of qualifying for the CL

The Ballon d’or is a joke anyhow, “the best player in the world” isn’t a prize to be given out at a ridiculously ceremonial corporate junket - it’s something intangible, the excitement that football fans across the world feel when they watch a special player in action

It’s so unfair if true but Messi is greatest player in history but last season Haaland had great season too. I don’t know if Haaland will have a blinder of season again. Like winning World Cup a treble won is same once in lifetime achievement. Too much PR swung it but will wait til it’s official. Still hope Haaland gets it.
Messi deserves it and it's inevitable he will get it if not already got it, I personally don't care either tbh. Life goes on.

I'm not sure what the fascination with this shite is when I was growing up nobody gave a shit about it, the FIFA world player of the year was more recognised as the main award until they both merged. They even revised non European winners of the past on who should've won...
IMG_20231017_212407.jpg

There was no south American winners the first non European was George Weah in the mid 90s, they only did this because they knew the award had massively waned in popularity.

Because Balloon d'Or was a European (nationality) player of the year award it never really picked the very best, if truth be told they probably should've actually revised more winners of the past, also look at the winners during the European dominance by English clubs, there was just one top three player despise 7 wins in 8 years.

That was Dalglish who finished runners up in 1983... yes Keegan was runner up in 1977 but this was after his transfer to Hamburg, he then won the following two years but I honestly doubt he'd had finished in the top three even once had he chose to stay in England, they clearly went out their way to ignore English teams and their players during an era of unmatched dominance since by a single nation.

Anyone surprised? Ballon d'or was always made for Messi. They robbed so many players - Lewandowski, Ribery, Henry, Neymar just to give it to their golden boy.

First time in history a player playing in the sodding MLS - MLS! - wins the ballon d'or. I mean, what did he even do outside of a one-month tournament to warrant the prize?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.