Balotelli (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never know a player divide opinion since Adrian Heath

you ever get the feeling the players just think Mario is a D**k and can't be bothered with him

I actually didn't think he was *THAT* bad on Sunday,the problem is his body language gives the impression he is centre stage,''Look at me'' syndrome and doing little to back up his *star billing.Both him and Agero weren't working,pressing or harrasing United's back four enough,or making enough runs into space.They were mainly ambling about hoping something was going to drop to them.

Mancini obviously had asked him to do certain things in the match he failed to do so he was hooked.The derby was never the game for him to start,i don't care what he did at Old Trafford.We needed 11 battlers willing to die for the cause out there from the off,he never feels that affinity for us.

The editor of the excellent 'View from a Blue' weblog wrote this and i agree with a fair bit of it.

''However, and this brings me to the main talking point post-match, that doesn’t mean Mario Balotelli was poor. His performance has been vilified in today’s papers by journalists who, rather than attempt any real analysis of the game, take the lazy option and focus on Balotelli. Jamie Jackson in the Guardian described the Italian’s performance as “close-to-hopeless” whilst Ollie Holt in the Mirror thought the striker was “utterly ineffectual, distracted, fitful and fretful … and that City had effectively been forced to play with 10 men.” And the less said about Steven Howard’s bile-filled, vitriolic piece in the Sun, the better. What absolute nonsense.

The reality is the Balotelli was one of, if not the, liveliest attacking sparks in the first half. His pace, direct running, touch and strength caused a number of problems for United’s backline and it was his speed in behind their defence which looked our most likely route of scoring. Yes, he tried a couple of flicks too many and that infuriated Roberto Mancini but at least he tried to move the ball on quickly, rather than take too many touches in possession and slow down our tempo, as was the case with so many others.

The negative vibe in the ground was startling towards him, as if many fans have turned against him because of who he is, rather than what he produces. Of course, he doesn’t help himself at times with his questionable attitude and lack of workrate, but those at the ground should be able to realise how good he is off the ball when City are in possession. Sadly, our tactics don’t play to his strength.

When you watch him for Italy, you realise just how effective he can be. His searing pace enables him to get beyond the opposition defence and with Andrea Pirlo picking him out early with balls over the top to exploit the space, he is lethal. Unfortunately, we don’t play that way. At the Etihad Stadium, it is clear that his movement is terrific. There were countless times in the first half when he (and Sergio Aguero) made darts over the top as United’s defence pushed up, but our tempo was so laboured that no-one found those runs. And that is when Balotelli gets frustrated. He is flawed yet there is an expectation for him to be flawless.''

paulchapo said:
I actually didn't think he was *THAT* bad on Sunday,the problem is his body language gives the impression he is centre stage,''Look at me'' syndrome and doing little to back up his *star billing.Both him and Agero weren't working,pressing or harrasing United's back four enough,or making enough runs into space.They were mainly ambling about hoping something was going to drop to them.

Mancini obviously had asked him to do certain things in the match he failed to do so he was hooked.The derby was never the game for him to start,i don't care what he did at Old Trafford.We needed 11 battlers willing to die for the cause out there from the off,he never feels that affinity for us.

The editor of the excellent 'View from a Blue' weblog wrote this and i agree with a fair bit of it.

''However, and this brings me to the main talking point post-match, that doesn’t mean Mario Balotelli was poor. His performance has been vilified in today’s papers by journalists who, rather than attempt any real analysis of the game, take the lazy option and focus on Balotelli. Jamie Jackson in the Guardian described the Italian’s performance as “close-to-hopeless” whilst Ollie Holt in the Mirror thought the striker was “utterly ineffectual, distracted, fitful and fretful … and that City had effectively been forced to play with 10 men.” And the less said about Steven Howard’s bile-filled, vitriolic piece in the Sun, the better. What absolute nonsense.

The reality is the Balotelli was one of, if not the, liveliest attacking sparks in the first half. His pace, direct running, touch and strength caused a number of problems for United’s backline and it was his speed in behind their defence which looked our most likely route of scoring. Yes, he tried a couple of flicks too many and that infuriated Roberto Mancini but at least he tried to move the ball on quickly, rather than take too many touches in possession and slow down our tempo, as was the case with so many others.

The negative vibe in the ground was startling towards him, as if many fans have turned against him because of who he is, rather than what he produces. Of course, he doesn’t help himself at times with his questionable attitude and lack of workrate, but those at the ground should be able to realise how good he is off the ball when City are in possession. Sadly, our tactics don’t play to his strength.

When you watch him for Italy, you realise just how effective he can be. His searing pace enables him to get beyond the opposition defence and with Andrea Pirlo picking him out early with balls over the top to exploit the space, he is lethal. Unfortunately, we don’t play that way. At the Etihad Stadium, it is clear that his movement is terrific. There were countless times in the first half when he (and Sergio Aguero) made darts over the top as United’s defence pushed up, but our tempo was so laboured that no-one found those runs. And that is when Balotelli gets frustrated. He is flawed yet there is an expectation for him to be flawless.''

absolutely spot on that is

I have inside information that mario started crying when bobby told him the orange squash had gone.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 am --<br /><br />I have inside information that mario started crying when bobby told him the orange squash had gone.

if he gets to that level it'll be long after he's left City I'm afraid.

This was something I tried to make a point with in discussions about Balotelli since last year when people were continuously repeating his age.

Nobody in his right mind can't think that Balotelli at City is long project, City was just a point to save his career while pocketing loads of money after all crap at his last days at Inter. He was always set to return to Italy as soon as things get right for it.

So, for him to become a top, top player at City was making it yesterday, not tomorrow, in a month or in 5 years as it certainly wouldn't be at City. And as such, I don't mind but not particularly care if he becomes new Messi (he won't) at Milan one day.

paulchapo said:
those at the ground should be able to realise how good he is off the ball when City are in possession. Sadly, our tactics don’t play to his strength.

When you watch him for Italy, you realise just how effective he can be. His searing pace enables him to get beyond the opposition defence and with Andrea Pirlo picking him out early with balls over the top to exploit the space, he is lethal. Unfortunately, we don’t play that way. At the Etihad Stadium, it is clear that his movement is terrific. There were countless times in the first half when he (and Sergio Aguero) made darts over the top as United’s defence pushed up, but our tempo was so laboured that no-one found those runs. ''

This has very rapidly become one of the laziest and over used cliches in football, beloved by cod analysts everywhere.

Based on a single 90 minutes against Germany and a single high profile comment by Gary Neville at the end of last season, people with a desire to build him up to something he isn't have sought to spread this myth that he has never seen before movement that is better than anything in world football.

And that this amazing talent is wasted because there are only two or three players in world football that play in the style of Pirlo and have Pirlo's ability.

It is lazy and inaccurate. What's more, it is so damning of the player, if it were true, that the agenda that they are seeking to push with it is totally devalued. It is basically saying that he is so one dimensional that he cannot even play well in one of the best team's in Europe, packed with quality, because they don't base their whole style around him and his apparent only outstanding attribute.

He needs the presence of one of only a small handful of players in the world (or someone mimicking that) in a team to be a decent player? Yeah, right. What an insult to him.

Lazy, lazy, lazy cliche from people latching on to something that they mistakenly think is high level football analysis. Just because a player has pace and makes the odd run off a shoulder of a defender and this has been highlighted a couple of times, we have another version of the "best in the world" myth around him.

He has gone from being put up as "potentially the best player in the world", which not many have the front to claim now, to the downgraded "got the best movement in the world". Both are total exaggerations and stem from certain people's desire for him to be that, rather than reality.

simon23 said:
paulchapo said:

absolutely spot on that is

Hear, hear.

The Balotelli-bashing in the papers is no real surprise, of course. Sky set the tone for all football coverage, the no-mark journalists regurgitate it. Redknapp and Souness batter him at half-time - based entirely on preconception/prejudice and not at all on what has actually been happening on the pitch - and it's just lazily taken on by all and sundry. (The Holt comment about "playing with 10 men" is even a direct quote of what either Redknapp or Souness said during the coverage). Unfortunate thing is that so many are taken in by it.

Is Mancini actually being serious when he says he won't sell Balotelli or is he just trying to fetch a higher price for him? Disappointed by Mancini if it's the former. Mancini has made his bed, the wrong one as far as I'm concerned, but he's made it and he should now try to do the best by the club and sell Balotelli and probably Dzeko as well for the highest price he can get. Both Balotelli and Dzeko are too good not to be playing regular football. They need to go and be the main men somewhere else. They're rotting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.