Balotelli (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
moomba said:
pudge said:
moomba said:
Why?

Is it a rule that a 20 year old £20m signing has to be at his best straight away?

Phil Phuckwitt over at the rags cost nearly that much, they're not rushing him out the door.

Once a player is in the club the price you bought him for should have no bearing on whether you keep him or not.
Missing the point much?

He's had 2 years, he's 22, and shows virtually no sign of this 'world class' talent.

You do not be £20m on a player and after 2 years continue to play the waiting game.

You've still not explained why

Whats important for us is what Mario can do going forward, not this week but for the rest of his career with us. What we paid for him, and what he's done for us in the past 2 years doesn't determine what he can do for us in the future.

I accept that you don't believe he will make a contribution for us going forward, and that is your right. But that's the reason you would want him gone, not because he cost £20m and only scored 30 goals for us in his first 2 and a half years.
£20m is a lot for a 19 year old, yes?

When an investment like that is put into a player of that age, it shows expectation, yes?

Which is why saying 'we can afford to play the waiting game with Mario' is wrong in my opinion. Because you don't pay that much for a teenager without the expectation that his talent will be somewhat fulfilled. Nobody can honestly say that in his 2+ years here they have said to themselves 'Wow, Mario is going to be world class' because he hasn't done anything to merit that. He could be a good player, a great one even, but not this 'best in the world' shite.

So at £20m, you pay for potential and the expectation it will be fulfilled you don't do it so you can just sit around and play the waiting game, which is what I was initially arguing.<br /><br />-- Dec 15th, '12, 11:23 --<br /><br />
BlueBlood84 said:
pudge said:
moomba said:
Why?

Is it a rule that a 20 year old £20m signing has to be at his best straight away?

Phil Phuckwitt over at the rags cost nearly that much, they're not rushing him out the door.

Once a player is in the club the price you bought him for should have no bearing on whether you keep him or not.
Missing the point much?

He's had 2 years, he's 22, and shows virtually no sign of this 'world class' talent.

You do not play £20m on a player and after 2 years continue to play the waiting game like previously suggested, which is what I have a problem with.

His fee was over inflated, like a lot of the players we got at that time. Surely It's unfair to judge any player against an inflated fee.
But surely the willingness to still pay that fee shows the expectations the club had, not "oh only £20m? That's alright, we can pay that and just wait"

pudge said:

When an investment like that is put into a player of that age, it shows expectation, yes?

Which is why saying 'we can afford to play the waiting game with Mario' is wrong in my opinion. Because you don't pay that much for a teenager without the expectation that his talent will be somewhat fulfilled. Nobody can honestly say that in his 2+ years here they have said to themselves 'Wow, Mario is going to be world class' because he hasn't done anything to merit that. He could be a good player, a great one even, but not this 'best in the world' shite.

So at £20m, you pay for potential and the expectation it will be fulfilled you don't do it so you can just sit around and play the waiting game, which is what I was initially arguing.

So would you keep an inferior player that cost less to buy and has met lower expectations, or a better player who cost more and hasn't yet met higher expectations?

What you're saying has nothing to do with his pricetag, it's that you have no faith that he will improve to the level that is good enough for us. That's fair enough, but it doesn't matter how much he cost. That's been paid whether he stays or goes, so the important thing is what he can contribute for the club going forward.

In the Tranny example I gave above, he cost £14m??? and wasn't anywhere near playing to his full potential after three years at the rags. I wish they had the same attitude as you.

moomba said:
pudge said:

So at £20m, you pay for potential and the expectation it will be fulfilled you don't do it so you can just sit around and play the waiting game, which is what I was initially arguing.

So would you keep an inferior player that cost less to buy and has met lower expectations, or a better player who cost more and hasn't yet met higher expectations?

What you're saying has nothing to do with his pricetag, it's that you have no faith that he will improve to the level that is good enough for us. That's fair enough, but it doesn't matter how much he cost. That's been paid whether he stays or goes, so the important thing is what he can contribute for the club going forward.

In the Tranny example I gave above, he cost £14m??? and wasn't anywhere near playing to his full potential after three years at the rags. I wish they had the same attitude as you.
At Mario's age Ronaldo was scoring 30+ and by watching him before that you knew he was a special player, as hard as that is to admit. He showed a lot more potential than mario has a the age, but that is admittedly unfair to use an example as no one is on Messi/Ronaldo's level.

They paid £14 million on potential, and by the same timescale he was scoring 20+ to 30+ a season.

Which is why I argue paying £20 million on potential and saying "we can play the waiting game" is wrong.

The point being that even expensive players sometimes take time to reach their best.

And 20 goals in the league from 33 starts and 20 sub appearances, and a further 10 goals in domestic and European cups isn't nearly as bad for a 22 year old as people like to make out.

moomba said:
The point being that even expensive players sometimes take time to reach their best.

And 20 goals in the league from 33 starts and 20 sub appearances, and a further 10 goals in domestic and European cups isn't nearly as bad for a 22 year old as people like to make out.
Ignoring the negatives is as bad as some claiming others ignore the positives.

Those stats on Sky are damning. Mario starts and we've only have a 33% chance of winning.

Sooner he f@cks off the better.<br /><br />-- Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm --<br /><br />
moomba said:

I think we can all ignore your comments.

I've read 3 threads this morning and am convinced you just login for an arguement.

cookster said:
Those stats on Sky are damning. Mario starts and we've only have a 33% chance of winning.

Sooner he f@cks off the better.

-- Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm --

moomba said:

I think we can all ignore your comments.

I've read 3 threads this morning and am convinced you just login for an arguement.
Doesnt he just
1 goal in 11 hours moomba

If something says something I disagree with I will certainly argue my case.

I would have thought that was the whole point of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.