Ban the Grand National?

Sorry don't know how to paste reply.

But my point is that it IS a big industry so therefore would be difficult to ban. Whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant

An impression I had watching it today is there are too many horses taking part in it. I never used to think that but these days the overhead cameras we saw used today show it all from angles I never saw before. It looked to me like a lot of the horses that fell tripped over eachother or over another horse that had gone down. I know that such a big field and them being handicapped makes it a better prospect to win money, but they seemed to be all eachother today.

Re: Re: Ban the Grand National?

mark100267 said:

But my point is that it IS a big industry so therefore would be difficult to ban. Whether it is right or wrong is irrelevant

At the end of the day the fences make it the race it is. So lower the fences and it takes some of the attraction of the race away.

However they did ban bull fighting didn't they.

Re: Re: Ban the Grand National?

johnmc said:
mark100267 said:

At the end of the day the fences make it the race it is. So lower the fences and it takes some of the attraction of the race away.

Come on mate don't even go there.

Make the fences higher and make the owners think twice before chasing the dream.

tweetstreet said:
Lower the height of the jumps would be my suggestion, isn't the chair 6'6? That's massive even for a horse. Let alone a tired horse.

5" maximum over a 4 mile run maybe? Won't take any of the entertainment away IMO. I'm not watching and saying "oh he cleared that by a mile" or "wow he clipped that one" the entertainment is in the best horses competing in a difficult race not a dangerous one.

The Chair is the highest fence,however it is only 5'2".Fact.

BlueMo' said:
Very emotive but i still think it's the greatest horse race in the world.
A fantastic spectacle. I'm not a bookies man, i didn't even have a bet today.
Ban boxing, ban formula 1, ban skiing, People killed in all these sports.

I think if somebody died every year at the British Grand Prix they would change something.

BlueInCanada said:
welcometomanchester said:
rushts said:
Mixed emotions really.

My little un was really upset today as he backed 'Synchronized' and knew he'd been put down.

Whereas i could have quite gladly shot the f*cking old nag i backed that fell at the second.
not even funny.

Made me laugh
and me

Re: Re: Re: Ban the Grand National?

mancitygaz said:
johnmc said:
mark100267 said:

Come on mate don't even go there.

Make the fences higher and make the owners think twice before chasing the dream.

Not comparing the two. Just that would have been difficult to ban the same as the national would. Im not in favour of banning it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.