Bands replacing Iconic singers - does it ever really work?

Think the last few Marillion albums are gash but post Fish albums Brave, this strange engine and Radiation stand up in their own rites. Very different to Fish era and worth a listen if you persist with them. Should have changed name really.

Iron maiden tried it for a while when bruce dickinson left to become an olympic fencer and then a pilot

tbf, they did a good job sound wise, with his replacement, but the energy wasnt there.

when bruce dicky came back, it reignited the spark and they've been better than ever in recent gigs

shadygiz said:
Iron maiden tried it for a while when bruce dickinson left to become an olympic fencer and then a pilot

tbf, they did a good job sound wise, with his replacement, but the energy wasnt there.

when bruce dicky came back, it reignited the spark and they've been better than ever in recent gigs

I'm no Iron Maiden fan but I know a couple of diehards who wouldn't accept Blaze Bayley.

It was technically a new band but Audioslave with Chris Cornell and the 3 guys from Rage Against The Machine was never right.

bammy blue said:
hows about the reverse situation of singers replacing the iconic band i.e with guns n roses, just not the same without slash and the rest of the chaps!
thought the same about the who without Moon and Dream Theatre without Portnoy, guess it depends on creative impact and sound of the band?

On a more positive not I'm looking forward to Mick Hucknall popping his cork - will simply red be any less shit with another singer?

Ntini77 said:
AC/DC didn't have a problem.

Maybe to you they didn't. Back in Black was a good album but they went shite after that.

It worked to an extent with Rainbow, particularly Dio -> Bonnet as Blackmore wanted a more commercial sound

Hart of the matter said:
Thin Lizzy without Phil, the Doors without Jim, Yes without Jon and Genesis without Peter would suggest not. Did go and see Queen with Paul Rogers (one of my favourite singers) and loved it but cannot stand listening to it at home. A bit like fast food. Fills a hole at the time but nothing to get excited about.

I don't think it can ever really work .......

Carver said:
Ntini77 said:
AC/DC didn't have a problem.

Maybe to you they didn't. Back in Black was a good album but they went shite after that.

It worked to an extent with Rainbow, particularly Dio -> Bonnet as Blackmore wanted a more commercial sound

Rainbow was more a vehicle for Richie and rotated singers to that end, as for AcDc, they were awesome with both imho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.