Bands replacing Iconic singers - does it ever really work?

It doesn't usually work but there a a few exceptions... Steve Hogarth actually worked well with Marillion, Phil Collins squeezed a couple of decent albums out of Genesis before they became his backing band, The current Jam line-up with the replacement for Paul Weller are excellent, The Beatles when John Lennon left and Liam Gallagher stepped in...

Where it clearly didn't work... Buggles and Yes!

Soulboy said:
It doesn't usually work but there a a few exceptions... Steve Hogarth actually worked well with Marillion, Phil Collins squeezed a couple of decent albums out of Genesis before they became his backing band, The current Jam line-up with the replacement for Paul Weller are excellent, The Beatles when John Lennon left and Liam Gallagher stepped in...

Where it clearly didn't work... Buggles and Yes!

Really liked the Drama album but does not feel like a Yes album, Learning to Fly is shite. Think there are two distict Yes's, classic Yes and Rabin era. Like both and think Talk is a lost classic.

Posted separately but Manchester band Sad Cafe have reformed and gigging in November. Will be interesting to see them after all these years without Paul Young (RIP)

Hart of the matter said:
Thin Lizzy without Phil, the Doors without Jim, Yes without Jon and Genesis without Peter would suggest not. Did go and see Queen with Paul Rogers (one of my favourite singers) and loved it but cannot stand listening to it at home. A bit like fast food. Fills a hole at the time but nothing to get excited about.

The fuck outta here with Peter Gabriel. Genesis were fucking shite early days and he was a right weirdo. I'd have thrown shit at the stage had I paid money to hear that fuckin twat and that tinny crap.

whothefisAlice said:
Hart of the matter said:
Thin Lizzy without Phil, the Doors without Jim, Yes without Jon and Genesis without Peter would suggest not. Did go and see Queen with Paul Rogers (one of my favourite singers) and loved it but cannot stand listening to it at home. A bit like fast food. Fills a hole at the time but nothing to get excited about.

The fuck outta here with Peter Gabriel. Genesis were fucking shite early days and he was a right weirdo. I'd have thrown shit at the stage had I paid money to hear that fuckin twat and that tinny crap.

At last..... Someone bit, surprised it took so long. Not a massive Genesis fan of either singer to be honest. One decent album each. Selling England and Trick of the tail. Other than that the rest was twiddle IMHO

whothefisAlice said:
Hart of the matter said:

Im opposite, Genesis WERE a brilliant serious prog band with Gabriel........till that bald bellend took over

nimrod said:
whothefisAlice said:
Hart of the matter said:

Im opposite, Genesis WERE a brilliant serious prog band with Gabriel........till that bald bellend took over

''brilliant serious prog band.''
There's a couple of oxymoron's in that sentence... ;)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
nimrod said:
whothefisAlice said:

''brilliant serious prog band.''
There's a couple of oxymoron's in that sentence... ;)

Ah. Prog bashing. I like many many genres of music (Prog included) as long as it is kept real - kick out the boy bands. Never understood the grief given to Prog. seems to me the likes of Genesis and Pink Floyd would still sell out mega stadia world wide whilst still a healthy underground Prog Scene. Not sure the touted 'end of prog' punk scenes could match that ( love the Clash, Skidz, Rutz BTW)

homerdog said:
Hart of the matter said:
Saw foreigner a couple of times recently and new singer was fantastic. Great showman and great voice.

Kelly Hansen - apparently he also makes some decent outdoor clothing in his spare time!

Thats one that certainly works.....and check out Hansen's former band, Hurricane too.

And Journey......Steve Augeri matched Perry for me on their underrated Arrival album.......new guy, Pineda is so so though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.