Banner at Celtic today

law74 said:
depps said:
Where did I mention conscription mate? If anything my post refers more to the volunteers, who went becuase of 'the lies their fathers told', than to conscripts.

And Kipling knows his shit on this; he was one of those fathers who sent his son away to die by filling him full of shit.

Apologies for my spelling but
Dolce et decorum est pro patria mori
or
Greater love hath no man than he lays down his life for his friends.

Many many thousands of men form "their love of dear old Ireland that they have never seen" gave their lives during the great war and in continueing conflicts thereafter, indeed it was the Irish that landed in Portugal and started to kick Napoleon out of power.
& if I was to start on the battle honours of the Scottish regiments (quite a few I have served alongside, and ALL had a mixture of supporters of various scottish clubs, i would be here for a long time typing when I should be getting ready for an early morning flight for the derby, but if Kipling wants to tell of "the lies their fathers told" i would suggest the white feather from their mother and her ilk would have been more to enhance recruitment to the LIONS LED BY LAMBS, & I will alway be proud to wear a red poppy, not to avoid a white feather but to remember my forefathers who gave their lives in the fields where the red poppies grow.

"Dolce et decurum est pro patria mori" or "sweet an honourable it is to die for ones country" for the none catholics out their :-) is exactly the lies I mean.

I think you miss the point of my post. I'm not questioning the motives of the soldiers, what I'm saying is that they were lead astray and sent to their deaths in what was meant to be some big heroic adventure but turned out to be a completely unnecessary and pointless war. It was very far from the romantic struggle the press and politicians told them it was.

You might remember from previous chats we have had that I am a southern republican, and would actually be proud to be called a Fenian unlike some Scots who think of it as an insult, but that doesn't mean I have an inherent hatred for the British army and I hope my posts on this thread haven't come across like that. I actually think what the Celtic supporters did was over the top and very tasteless but I can relate to how they feel. Some of the posters on this thread have actually proven their point by linking the wearing of poppies to their own anti-Islamic agenda.

Personally I wouldn't wear a poppy due to my own personal political beliefs but I have nothing against those who do. My great-grandfather was a British soldier form the Manchester area who was stationed in Cork and married a local girl, he had two sons who both served in the British army during WWI, only one came home, and a daughter (my grandmother). Her husband served in the Irish navy during the second world war and my grandfather on the other side of the family served in the Irish army at the same time so I have nothing but respect for the average serviceman.

I'm not in any way suggesting you shouldn't wear your poppy proudly if that's how you feel, I'm just trying to explain why others might not feel the same way.

Poppies
My old pa is Irish. He has told me things that wouldn't make it on here after LIVING through the shit that the army put him through in Belfast since the early 1950s and onwards.
My mum's dad was Welsh. He made it in the army too. Same thing.

well Celtic got it big style last night - their fans were battered in the street before the game then shamed their club again with pro IRA and anti Brit chants and songs at the game
the scum refused to buy the match program because it had a poppy on the cover and robbed a pie stall in their stand and threatened the poor wee lassies working there !!
why the SPL / SFA doesnt dock them points I have no idea!

aka blue jambo said:
well Celtic got it big style last night - their fans were battered in the street before the game then shamed their club again with pro IRA and anti Brit chants and songs at the game
the scum refused to buy the match program because it had a poppy on the cover and robbed a pie stall in their stand and threatened the poor wee lassies working there !!
why the SPL / SFA doesnt dock them points I have no idea!

You forgot their lovely little ditty of 'You can stick your bloodstained poppies up your arse'

and the abuse Hearts supporters got for wearing poppies.

CFC - Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing

depps said:
law74 said:
Apologies for my spelling but
Dolce et decorum est pro patria mori
or
Greater love hath no man than he lays down his life for his friends.

Many many thousands of men form "their love of dear old Ireland that they have never seen" gave their lives during the great war and in continueing conflicts thereafter, indeed it was the Irish that landed in Portugal and started to kick Napoleon out of power.
& if I was to start on the battle honours of the Scottish regiments (quite a few I have served alongside, and ALL had a mixture of supporters of various scottish clubs, i would be here for a long time typing when I should be getting ready for an early morning flight for the derby, but if Kipling wants to tell of "the lies their fathers told" i would suggest the white feather from their mother and her ilk would have been more to enhance recruitment to the LIONS LED BY LAMBS, & I will alway be proud to wear a red poppy, not to avoid a white feather but to remember my forefathers who gave their lives in the fields where the red poppies grow.

"Dolce et decurum est pro patria mori" or "sweet an honourable it is to die for ones country" for the none catholics out their :-) is exactly the lies I mean.

I think you miss the point of my post. I'm not questioning the motives of the soldiers, what I'm saying is that they were lead astray and sent to their deaths in what was meant to be some big heroic adventure but turned out to be a completely unnecessary and pointless war. It was very far from the romantic struggle the press and politicians told them it was.

You might remember from previous chats we have had that I am a southern republican, and would actually be proud to be called a Fenian unlike some Scots who think of it as an insult, but that doesn't mean I have an inherent hatred for the British army and I hope my posts on this thread haven't come across like that. I actually think what the Celtic supporters did was over the top and very tasteless but I can relate to how they feel. Some of the posters on this thread have actually proven their point by linking the wearing of poppies to their own anti-Islamic agenda.

Personally I wouldn't wear a poppy due to my own personal political beliefs but I have nothing against those who do. My great-grandfather was a British soldier form the Manchester area who was stationed in Cork and married a local girl, he had two sons who both served in the British army during WWI, only one came home, and a daughter (my grandmother). Her husband served in the Irish navy during the second world war and my grandfather on the other side of the family served in the Irish army at the same time so I have nothing but respect for the average serviceman.

I'm not in any way suggesting you shouldn't wear your poppy proudly if that's how you feel, I'm just trying to explain why others might not feel the same way.

All Im saying is that Kipling may have been right regarding his own son but that is a very broad generalisation for everyone. No one in 1914 envisaged the kind of war that evolved over the following years most expecting it to be over by Christmas 1914. To say that someone who joined up to get a regular meal was lied to over the romantic portrayal of war at that time is well wide of the mark

depps said:
[quote="Young_TomO

35645844.jpg

The guy who posted that is a twat, just like you. Opposite sides of the same coin.[/quote]

how am i a twat???

Explain...

Div

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.