Banning smoking in beer gardens

Pubs thrived?? Lol. I guess you just don't go in many pubs. The UK lost thousands of pubs after the smoking ban was introduced.

But if they had stayed open the non smokers would have had clean air to take their Horse tranquilisers, spice and amphetamines.

It was 2005, these exact same discussions were being had, almost word for word (minus the vaping sideshow).

Those that resist any kind of change were bleating on about freedom of speech, the right to destroy your own health, nanny states, whataboutery, obesity, alcohol, and how an upcoming smoking ban would destroy the pubs and hospitality as an industry.

Having seen similar bans successful applied to offices, hospitals, flights, trains, etc. With the same discussions each decade.

Pubs thrived, health improved, staff are happier, and there has been a reduction in the percentage of the population smoking. Just like they did with every other ban.

It is 2024. Are people STILL that fucking antiquated? It is smoking ffs, there is no good to it. There never was.

I am all for it. If it is a step closer incrementally getting rid of smoking altogether, fucking amazing. If not, it will make outdoor spaces far more pleasant, safe and desirable in the meantim. Might give some smokers the encouragement they need to quit altogether, might give others something to complain about, eventually they will settle into smoking less by default. The troglodytes will bemoan and pound their chests from the side, but whatever, society has always had those layers of selfishness and always will. If it comes in, it will be great, and in a decade we can add it to the list of smoking bans that people were wrong about.

Pubs thrived?? Lol. I guess you just don't go in many pubs. The UK lost thousands of pubs after the smoking ban was introduced.

Did it fuck, don't make shit up. They thrived. The ones shifting focusing on beer, food, etc.

Pubs suffered covid and brexit price hikes and previously tax increases. Not the smoking ban.

Last edited:

'But there are other factors too.
The British Beer and Pub Association cites the rise in the tax applied to drinks - and beer in particular. The beer duty escalator meant that between 2008 and 2013 the duty increased by 42% and this has come at a time when supermarkets have tried to entice shoppers in with discounts on booze'.

Yes let's all be selective.

Did it fuck, don't make shit up. They thrived. The ones shifting focusing on beer, food, etc.

Pubs suffered covid and brexit price hikes and previously tax increases. Not the smoking ban.
Lol, you're living in cloud cookoo land if you think the smoking ban caused pubs to thrive.

Covid and brexit came along years after the smoking ban, you need to do some research before posting nonsense.

But if they had stayed open the non smokers would have had clean air to take their Horse tranquilisers, spice and amphetamines.
I happen to think the indoors smoking ban was a very good thing, but to say it caused pubs to thrive is ignorance of the highest order.

The outdoor ban is utter nanny state nonsense. As a non smoker I can't recall the last time if ever I was upset by someone smoking outside.

I happen to think the indoors smoking ban was a very good thing, but to say it caused pubs to thrive is ignorance of the highest order.

The outdoor ban is utter nanny state nonsense. As a non smoker I can't recall the last time if ever I was upset by someone smoking outside.

I agree, this isn't about making pubs and eateries cleaner it's about telling people what to do for no apparent reason.

How can non smokers complain about people smoking in a smoking pub when they aren't even in it? Busy cunts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.