Barca fans get together in Manchester

savo said:
ell said:
Brilliant so the four years I spent not paying attention in Spanish were not wasted after all because I cant use the bloody language when we go over anyway

Of course you can, never mind this wikipedia bulls**t. The catalans speak Spanish just as well as the Basques and the Andalucians. Cataluyna is full of migrant workers from south america and they speak Castellan i.e. spanish, not Catalan. The catalans are extremely nationalistic and they do love their culture, language and heritage but to suggest that they would be offended to talk with anyone in spanish is just tripe. People just love to overstate things.

tripe?
i take it your post is directed at me.

if you reread what i wrote i said "a few of them actually find it insulting and ignorant"
a few means not very many.

i've sat around the dining table in households where i can assure you that some of the older generation catalans would be extremely offended if you spoke to them in spanish in their own homes
and likewise some of the younger generation who are politically active would feel extrememly insulted if you called them spanish.

certainly they will understand you if you speak to them in spanish, but most of them don't sit around talking to each other in spanish.

you are right, barcelona is a city with immigrants from all over the world, some of whom speak spanish as their mother tongue,
but they are not catalans.
the barca fans turning up in thousands for the game at the etihad will be catalans and i was just suggesting that if we are intending to give them a warm welcome then calling them spanish might be taken the wrong way, that's all.

calum down said:
savo said:
ell said:
Brilliant so the four years I spent not paying attention in Spanish were not wasted after all because I cant use the bloody language when we go over anyway

Of course you can, never mind this wikipedia bulls**t. The catalans speak Spanish just as well as the Basques and the Andalucians. Cataluyna is full of migrant workers from south america and they speak Castellan i.e. spanish, not Catalan. The catalans are extremely nationalistic and they do love their culture, language and heritage but to suggest that they would be offended to talk with anyone in spanish is just tripe. People just love to overstate things.

tripe?

if you reread what i wrote i said "a few of them actually find it insulting and ignorant"

i've sat around the dining table in households where i can assure you that some of the older generation catalans would be extremely offended if you spoke to them in spanish in their own homes
and likewise some of the younger generation who are politically active would feel extrememly insulted if you called them spanish.

certainly they will understand you if you speak to them in spanish, but most of them don't sit around talking to each other in spanish.

you are right, barcelona is a city with immigrants from all over the world, some of whom speak spanish as their mother tongue,
the barca fans turning up in thousands for the game at the etihad will be catalans and i was just suggesting that if we are intending to give them a warm welcome then calling them spanish might be taken the wrong way, that's all.

I think you may be taking it a bit too seriously, I don't particularly want to give any opposition a warm welcome its a football match not a meeting of the Mothers Union!

Ducado said:
calum down said:
savo said:

tripe?

I think you may be taking it a bit too seriously, I don't particularly want to give any opposition a warm welcome its a football match not a meeting of the Mothers Union!

fair enough, but the o.p. was suggesting we greet them nicely

Of course most fans who are from Barcelona will be able to communicate in Spanish but a Benvingut greeting is far more welcome than Bienvenido to a Catalan

Everyone appreciates being spoken to in their maternal language

And that is exactly why the welcoming message in the glass fronted entrances will be in Catalan :)

Hope everyone who has come over for the game has a great night (will be cold) I got talking to a group of lads from Barca at the Chelsea game and what a sound bunch they were, clearly footy fanatics!

CTID

Well I hope we give them all a warm welcome. If you post on the Barca forum you find they are all a decent and very respectful bunch and we should show them the same respect. I hope we do.

Apart from anything else, what would you rather do, have a beer and a laugh, or get into a load of aggro? You'd have to be a complete dick to want the latter.

Chippy_boy said:
Well I hope we give them all a warm welcome. If you post on the Barca forum you find they are all a decent and very respectful bunch and we should show them the same respect. I hope we do.

Apart from anything else, what would you rather do, have a beer and a laugh, or get into a load of aggro? You'd have to be a complete dick to want the latter.

Absolutely

Hoping for beautiful football

calum down said:
savo said:
ell said:

tripe?

Don't you just put an "O" on the end of every word

Colins Bellend said:
calum down said:
savo said:

tripe?

No

Paulpowersleftfoot said:
Colins Bellend said:
calum down said:
tripe?

No

Noo*

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.