Barcelona H CL Pre match thread {merged}

Status
Not open for further replies.
LJ75 said:
1. v QPR
2. v Stoke FA CUP final
3. v United when anything but a win meant we had no chance for the title.

Again, from the MC brand perspective, globally. Imagine an undecided potential supporter in Taiwan. I am not sure FA Cup win vs Stoke can even compare to a potential 3-0 win vs Barca, and the way that would resonate in the footballing world.

Maybe, maybe not.

But when we beat the rags 1-0 a couple of seasons ago it was basically City v United for the title decider - whoever won was very likely to go on over the following two games to win the league.

If the press reports of viewing figures are to be believed, something like 650 million people watched that game, from South America to New Zealand. A Manchester Derby with the title of the most avidly followed league in the world at stake.

That was a fairly big deal.

(And, in case it's an omen, we fucking well stuffed 'em :))

pazzo said:
City must start with 2 forwards because you need to win the first game if you want to go through. Barcelona is known to play way better at home and they destroy teams at Camp Nou. City's only chance is to win the first leg and then play on counter at Camp Nou and even that may not be enough. If city doesn't win at home they are out of the competition. You have every chance of winning as long as you play your game and attack them, if you change your game and set up differently and let them dominate you could get pummeled.
You mean like they destroyed Bayern last season? Or Valencia a couple of weeks ago? Chelsea did a good job there with 10 men 2 seasons ago as well. We scored 3 away to Munich this season and we're more than capable of scoring at the Nou Camp, so I don't think we're out if we dont win tonight, it'll be difficult but not impossible.

You know, I am off work today and consequently all I have thought of since I woke up is this match. I am so looking forward to it, but I have this nagging doubt it is going to be a disappointment, I have no idea why I am thinking this. I so hope I am wrong.

BooksReject said:
Just posted this in the 'too much respect' thread, but think it should have gone in here so apologies for the duplication - but come on - 'sit back and enjoy the spectacle'?? Lets give them some noise boys and girls.......

You have to respect what they have done, how they play, you also have to be excited that we are going up against them tonight not as massive underdogs - lambs to the slaughter, but knowing they are worried about us, equals at the world's top footballing table. Make no mistake we are the LAST team they wanted to face at this stage.

Because of this, the eyes of the world will be on us tonight, so lets fucking make some noise - make it intimidating for them, hostile even. It used to ruffle the rags before they were shite. We have an intimidating ground when we get going for fucks sake! So don't sit back admiring and respecting, fucking ROAR!

Come on you beautiful City boys, and I'm shitting it now.

This is absolutely true, but of course the performance of the team plays a large part in this. Fans have to be ready to get behind the squad and the squad has to show up and stand toe to toe with them early. The energy will be there for the start, but those first 15 minutes will dictate so much about the atmosphere. There will be nerves at the ground and this is natural, we're playing a very good squad. The fans aren't going to be full of bravado and making things difficult if we aren't threatening

Bazzmand Show said:
Stoned Rose said:
LJ75 said:
Don't know if you will agree, but from Manchester City Brand perspective, this is probably the biggest game of the year (some would argue, ever), as the whole world is watching, and globally (in plain terms, think shirt sales), it could propel City to new heights. Pellegrini knows it, the good Sheikh knows it, and I hope the players know it. It would be great if this pressure translates into the best ever performance by City.

some would argue, ever

I would.

Biggest game in our history imo.

As others have said, its not even the biggest in the past 3-5 years....

Depends on how you term 'biggest'

Most significant? No

Most heightened in terms of the calibre of opposition? Yes absolutely

The Barca team which beat Utd in 2011 at Wembley were one of the best teams to have ever played the game. Regardless of them dipping slightly post-Guardiola the core of that team will be playing tonight. As a result, we are coming up against the best team we have probably ever played in terms of calibre (across the whole world of football). Bayern are excellent at this moment in time and granted weve played them twice but Barca are special purely because they have the best player in the world and as noted still have the core group which made them one of the best teams of all time.

For that reason it is more heightened and then add to the mix they are up against us, a hungry young animal playing at this level for the first time.

Genuinely mouthwatering

LJ75 said:
1. v QPR
2. v Stoke FA CUP final
3. v United when anything but a win meant we had no chance for the title.

Again, from the MC brand perspective, globally. Imagine an undecided potential supporter in Taiwan. I am not sure FA Cup win vs Stoke can even compare to a potential 3-0 win vs Barca, and the way that would resonate in the footballing world.
Didn't Arsenal beat them at home in the last 16 ( or was it 8), and even Celtic in the group stages, but any resonance from those victories didn't transform the fortunes of either of those clubs for the better. To make a major statement we need to win over two legs and then progress to at least the semis of this competition. A victory tonight would do us the world of good particularly in terms of our confidence and as a springboard for the rest of the season but as a one off game it is not the most important in our history - ask Arsenal.

teddykgb said:
BooksReject said:
Just posted this in the 'too much respect' thread, but think it should have gone in here so apologies for the duplication - but come on - 'sit back and enjoy the spectacle'?? Lets give them some noise boys and girls.......

You have to respect what they have done, how they play, you also have to be excited that we are going up against them tonight not as massive underdogs - lambs to the slaughter, but knowing they are worried about us, equals at the world's top footballing table. Make no mistake we are the LAST team they wanted to face at this stage.

Because of this, the eyes of the world will be on us tonight, so lets fucking make some noise - make it intimidating for them, hostile even. It used to ruffle the rags before they were shite. We have an intimidating ground when we get going for fucks sake! So don't sit back admiring and respecting, fucking ROAR!

Come on you beautiful City boys, and I'm shitting it now.

This is absolutely true, but of course the performance of the team plays a large part in this. Fans have to be ready to get behind the squad and the squad has to show up and stand toe to toe with them early. The energy will be there for the start, but those first 15 minutes will dictate so much about the atmosphere. There will be nerves at the ground and this is natural, we're playing a very good squad. The fans aren't going to be full of bravado and making things difficult if we aren't threatening

I agree to a point - we made some noise in days gone by when the scumbags were top of the tree and we could only dream of days like today. That noise, that intimidating atmosphere lifted our average players to scrape out the odd result. No players at whatever level are immune to the crowd noise, I'm just saying lets roar from the off! :)

Hope you stuff Barca as I'm not a big fan of their 90 minute midget passing carousel as a viewing spectacle. Sure, it's been effective in recent years for both Barca and the Spanish national team, but at times it's like you're not even watching a competitive match, but some kind of 'keep ball' training session. I find it mind numbingly repetitive, however, I assume I'm in the minority with this view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.