Barry being lined up for MLS role?

SWP's back said:
Barcon said:
oakiecokie said:
I think that the manner in which he conducts himself,could also be a positive factor in keeping him in some sort of capacity,after he ends his playing career.

-- Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm --

I think he could be persuaded.

He has a point though Oakie. Leaving your family behind is no easy thing. Although I imagine it will be a lot easier for his family to jump on a plane whenever they want than it was for mine. I do think he's still got a year or two left in him for us though.
I think most families would be open to a move to a luxury pad in the capital of the world.

-- Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm --

yankblue said:
Serious question, but what type of pulling power does the MLS truly have? The league is pretty weak and the money is peanuts compared to the top European leagues. Not to mention it's a big fucking move, maybe the US is very culturally similar to the UK but distance wise it's much further away then any European country so I doubt players with children would be to keen on coming.The only real benefit I can see is that players who have declined will still be able to step in and be some of the better players around, although I supposeliving in a city like New York would be appealing (even though I think it's the most overrated city in the world).

I guess what I'm getting at is that if I were a player, I'd rather retire at the top or spend the last few years of my career in the Championship/lower European league rather then move to the MLS.
Yeah like Beckham, Keane and Henry.

They are gutted they didn't get a move to Blackpool I hear.

I guess you have a point but to be fair all of them have come back, at least on loan. Maybe the MLS does have a bigger appeal then I'm giving it credit it for, I'm just asking for a foreign perspective on what it is.

Perfect for all concerned in my eyes. Can't imagine gaz baz would have too many objections to going to new york on a very handsome wage when he's reaching his mid 30's. This way, we get to keep Barry and use his experience over the next 2 seasons, slowly phasing him out, NYFC get the model professional in the centre of midfield to help with the first season in the league and Barry gets his wish to stay with us for a few more years and then gets this new role in the states. Yaya will be next once his new contract is run down in another 4/5 years.

yankblue said:
SWP's back said:
Barcon said:
He has a point though Oakie. Leaving your family behind is no easy thing. Although I imagine it will be a lot easier for his family to jump on a plane whenever they want than it was for mine. I do think he's still got a year or two left in him for us though.
I think most families would be open to a move to a luxury pad in the capital of the world.

yankblue said:
Serious question, but what type of pulling power does the MLS truly have? The league is pretty weak and the money is peanuts compared to the top European leagues. Not to mention it's a big fucking move, maybe the US is very culturally similar to the UK but distance wise it's much further away then any European country so I doubt players with children would be to keen on coming.The only real benefit I can see is that players who have declined will still be able to step in and be some of the better players around, although I supposeliving in a city like New York would be appealing (even though I think it's the most overrated city in the world).

I guess what I'm getting at is that if I were a player, I'd rather retire at the top or spend the last few years of my career in the Championship/lower European league rather then move to the MLS.

I guess you have a point but to be fair all of them have come back, at least on loan. Maybe the MLS does have a bigger appeal then I'm giving it credit it for, I'm just asking for a foreign perspective on what it is.
I'd imagine many Brits would be happy with a last payday in the sun where everyone speaks the same language and your skills show out once again.

SWP's back said:
yankblue said:
SWP's back said:

I'd imagine many Brits would be happy with a last payday in the sun where everyone speaks the same language and your skills show out once again.

You could get that at Blackpool ;-)

Good move for all concerned, after that stint in USA then bring him back here for coaching role. IMO he will become a manager in years to come, I'm near enough certain of that.

SWP's back said:
Barcon said:
oakiecokie said:
I think that the manner in which he conducts himself,could also be a positive factor in keeping him in some sort of capacity,after he ends his playing career.

-- Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm --

I think he could be persuaded.

Bugger that - with a young family - far better off in the hamptons with a nice boat moored up - especially as the MLS is a summer sport

yankblue said:

NipHolmes said:
Good move for all concerned, after that stint in USA then bring him back here for coaching role. IMO he will become a manager in years to come, I'm near enough certain of that.

I disagree, he hasn't got the stones for it

Danamy said:
NipHolmes said:

I disagree, he hasn't got the stones for it

We'll see.

Long periods as captain or vice captain, top managers always chosen him for club and country when other options were about. He's learned a lot and I think he will definitely give it a go. Coaching at the least.

I also think Kompany will one day.

my mate saw barry today at the airport, they were on the same flight.I only just read about this contract story just now or i'd have asked him to ask about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.