Barry time for a rest.

Forzacitizens said:
He can pass, just not good and consistent enough for a team that's trying to win the premier league.

Yeah - spot on there. So lets get rid then we can knock someone else ;-)

Forzacitizens said:
He can pass, just not good and consistent enough for a team that's trying to win the premier league.

Surely he is as we're top by 2pts and would be top by more if not for the referees.

Now if you replaced "Premier League" with "Champions League" I might agree with you, Barry is an important part of the City jigsaw but at the highest level I'm not sure. It was his mistake that cost us against Napoli in the 1-1 and he was also poor against Bayern, and was eventually put on the bench for Napoli away after those performances.

But in the Premier League he is usually nothing less than solid. He is only going to get slower though so his technical quality needs to remain good or else he could become a problem in coming years, or at least relegated to the bench more as I suspect he might have been anyway had we landed De Rossi.

whp.blue said:
Berkovic_blue said:
Forzacitizens said:
Right, so because I don't believe Barry is a great footballer, merely average and over hyped, i know, as you so intelligently put it 'shit' about football?

Ok....

Lol, you said he "can't pass" which quite clearly suggests you know nothing. Pretty sure I've seen him make a few passes before

ok I have seen him make lots of passes most of which have been very poor for such a world class midfielder

should have said he struggles with even the most simpliest of passes to team mates oftten three or four yard passes go straight to the opposition
my dear friend you are fully entitled to an opinion but I think you might not be watching the right player here. It is Gareth Barry -he plays in the midfield of the pitch has dark hair and is about 5ft 11inc. - his passes offer far more than short passes in our area - take a look at the replays of the game against Fulham as you certainly were not watching the same game as me and my family
Are you certain you were watching City? HE ALSO PLAYS REGULARLY FOR ENGLAND - you might catch him there too!!

This thread is strange. We all watch the same player doing the same things but have vastly differing opinions of how well he plays. I am of the opinion that he is excellent but has not been at his best in the last 2 matches. How people think he's average or poor is beyond me. I never used to see what all the fuss was about until he came to City and watched him week in, week out.

whp.blue said:
Berkovic_blue said:
His pass completion is regularly above 85% over a varied range. I would not describe that as often struggling with the simplest of passes. It's on par with other top midfielders.

Name a midfielder who you think is a lot better than him and I'll still show you that they lose the ball and probably don't have a much higher completion rate than him if at all.

He's not a world beater but he's an integral part of the team to keep play ticking over, I don't know why people constantly single him out for criticism when all the evidence shows he is doing his job very effectively.

the stats are crap
david silva is normally passing in and around the oppositions box trying to thread balls through the tiniest of gaps

Barry however is normally passing in our half with fewer players around him so I would expect his pass percentages to be a lot higher and he normally has a team mate open to pass to so I still maintain he is poor

In what way are the stats "crap"??? I say again, name another midfielder who plays his position and regularly gets higher pass completion. Barry plays plenty of passes all over the pitch. I'm not making all this up for the sake of it, you might think your eyes know best but if you've already prejudged him as crap before the game even kicks off then all I can say to you is human nature means you'll only remember his mistakes and nothing else simply because you want to think you're right all the time.

Go and have a look here:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create</a>

As for Silva, it isn't really a like for like comparison as he's a winger/attacking midfielder and also one of the top 10 players in the world as it happens. Even so, I've just picked a game at random for this season, WBA away. Silva's pass completion was 72%. So is he another one who cannot pass???

-- Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm --

cheddar404 said:
This thread is strange. We all watch the same player doing the same things but have vastly differing opinions of how well he plays. I am of the opinion that he is excellent but has not been at his best in the last 2 matches. How people think he's average or poor is beyond me. I never used to see what all the fuss was about until he came to City and watched him week in, week out.

Totally agree, he's not been great last couple of games but overall has been one our most consistent players this season.<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 pm --<br /><br />
Forzacitizens said:

So if we win the league you're saying he shouldn't get a medal because he's not good enough? LOL

cheddar404 said:

It's pretty simple really, Barry was the build him up knock him down man for the last world cup. Consequently all the red tops lambasted him and instead of people looking at what's infront of their eyes on a weekend and seeing all the good work he does, they pick up on every misplaced pass and foul (of which there aren't many) and jump on them. Barry isn't world class but he is very, very good at what he does and there aren't too many better than him.

yep,lets pick on him coz hes shite,fact,he is shite,if i was the manager or the dog n duck,he wouldnt get in my team,he gives the ball away at least 5 times a match,labours slow cant run or jump,and the king of free kicks on the edge of our box when we dont need it,sorry girls and boys some of you puddings on ere here no nowt.

Barry is an enigma. Truthfully one of the few players we have that can stretch the field with his passing. Silva, Yaya, Nasri all have great medium to short length passing. But when Barry starts to ping it to the forwards we have a real match on our hands.

alky313 said:
Barry is an enigma. Truthfully one of the few players we have that can stretch the field with his passing. Silva, Yaya, Nasri all have great medium to short length passing. But when Barry starts to ping it to the forwards we have a real match on our hands.
bwhahaha oh how we laughed!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.