Barry's Excellence

a lot of pundits thought we were mad and had paid well over the top for barry and milner, but i think they have both improved massively and are having great seasons

Dax777 said:
Okay, I noticed this against Pool, Norwich and Bayern. Gareth Barry has become the new Xabi Alonso. I remember after the game against Norwich when he was given the MOM award, I thought to myself, nah! He was at best a distant 3rd behind Yaya, and Nasri.

Then I went back and watched the game. My God! Was I wrong. Barry is doing some things I haven't seen since Alonzo left the premiership. He is pinging balls on a tight rope to forwards at an alarming rate. The accuracy and vision has been impeccable. Just go back and watch either Norwich or Bayern, and watch his ALonzo styled long balls. That looping ball Alonzo plays a lot. Barry seems to have figured out how to do it. And he is going crazy with it.

His movement offensively too has been fantastic. on numerous occasions against Norwich and Bayern, teammates have failed to pick him out as he moves Nasri like into dangerous spots. And when we lose the ball, the speed at which he gets back on defense to block or clatter into someone. One has to wonder where the rumors of him being slow came from.

I think Gareth Barry has been City's most impressive players the last 2 weeks or so. And it is not even close.

And no! I am not talking about his consistency, which he always had. I am talking about his raised game. He is playing some lights out football at the moment. I implore anyone to go back an watch (focus on Barry) the last 2 games, and see what he is doing. He is everywhere, and his passes, on the ground, in the air are just a thing of beauty. And he makes it look easy and routine. But they are not. He seems to be the only one who can find a forward on a rope when the opposition crowds the field.

I know most would disagree, but he is doing it better than EL Mago of late. And that my friends, is almost untinkable.

I have ordered my Barry 18, this run of form should not go un-applauded!

Rant Over!

Hence the reason the Dippers were gutted when we bought him from under their noses, the fact that they were in the hunt meant it was curtains for Alonso at Anfield................ Another great buy for us

primemutton said:
a lot of pundits thought we were mad and had paid well over the top for barry and milner, but i think they have both improved massively and are having great seasons

My take is this the synergy between this pair is greater than the part. Thats why both of them should be in the same lineup for their effectiveness in attack & defending roles.<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm --<br /><br />
zangatangring said:
People can be so annoying. I remember thinking during our first couple of games that him and yaya are both deep lying playmakers but because of how 'quiet' that role is, stupid people would slag them both off.

I think the problem was that Barry isn't a defender. Last season, he was mostly a defensive midfielder. Hence, the adulation of de jong and the vilification of Barry. This season, the roles have reversed. We're an attacking team and city can not now fully integrate a player of de jong's ilk. From here on in, he's probably gonna be in the shadows of barry and yaya.

Do we now have any second rate players that are the 'if he's in the team, it's a weak team' sort of player? I guess I'm being myopic as a city fan but i don't really think we have "second rate" starters atm.

Thats an understatement.
Sometimes folks here can't see the forest for the trees.

Fantastic player who seems to raise his game even more against better opposition.
One of the first names on Roberto's team sheet for the crunch games.
But Joey Barton thinks he is a better player, while the London media think the same of Scott Parker, who is decent but wouldn't get in our squad.

Needs a song.

To this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-x47veTp3Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx2L_qevklE[/youtube]

A class act.

Dax777 said:
Okay, I noticed this against Pool, Norwich and Bayern. Gareth Barry has become the new Xabi Alonso. I remember after the game against Norwich when he was given the MOM award, I thought to myself, nah! He was at best a distant 3rd behind Yaya, and Nasri.

Then I went back and watched the game. My God! Was I wrong. Barry is doing some things I haven't seen since Alonzo left the premiership. He is pinging balls on a tight rope to forwards at an alarming rate. The accuracy and vision has been impeccable. Just go back and watch either Norwich or Bayern, and watch his ALonzo styled long balls. That looping ball Alonzo plays a lot. Barry seems to have figured out how to do it. And he is going crazy with it.

His movement offensively too has been fantastic. on numerous occasions against Norwich and Bayern, teammates have failed to pick him out as he moves Nasri like into dangerous spots. And when we lose the ball, the speed at which he gets back on defense to block or clatter into someone. One has to wonder where the rumors of him being slow came from.

I think Gareth Barry has been City's most impressive players the last 2 weeks or so. And it is not even close.

And no! I am not talking about his consistency, which he always had. I am talking about his raised game. He is playing some lights out football at the moment. I implore anyone to go back an watch (focus on Barry) the last 2 games, and see what he is doing. He is everywhere, and his passes, on the ground, in the air are just a thing of beauty. And he makes it look easy and routine. But they are not. He seems to be the only one who can find a forward on a rope when the opposition crowds the field.

I know most would disagree, but he is doing it better than EL Mago of late. And that my friends, is almost untinkable.

I have ordered my Barry 18, this run of form should not go un-applauded!

Rant Over!

the thing is, if I understand correctly, Mancini keeps rotating between Barry and Milner based on his tactics of the day (defensive vs offensive). I'm happy that we have two in-form midfielders competing for one spot, but it must be hard for the players to be left out of the team despite being excellent...
Barry raising his game to match Milner and more will always be good for us...

I'm a massive fan of NDJ, but Barry has been superb this season. I actually asked the misses who her MOM was on sat, about 5 mins from the end, she said either Clichy, Yaya or Barry, I said Barry, even though i knew how well Yaya had played. To get MOM over Yaya against Norwich(the way he played) takes some doing!

He's playing great but he isn't anywhere near Alonso's level. Don't get giddy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.