Basic manners, keyboard warriors etc

46116b366deab64bac6752efaa188660.jpg

The two biggest issues, for me at least, are:

- posters being unnecessarily confrontational and aggressive when people have a different viewpoint. It's tedious and as Ammy said, is stifling debate. There's no need to be a dick just because someone disagrees with you. Its not unreasonable to ask people to treat fellow users with a bit more respect and courtesy.
- the casual Islamaphobia. It's not a problem specific to Bluemoon (one look at Twitter or Facebook tells you that), but there are some increasingly abhorrent views being aired on threads about Muslims and Islam. That has to stop.

Obviously we need to do more to stamp it out so will look at how we can do things better, but there needs to be a degree of self-policing too. I know I keep repeating it, but if posts aren't reported they'll often slip under the radar.

- posters being unnecessarily confrontational and aggressive when people have a different viewpoint. It's tedious and as Ammy said, is stifling debate. There's no need to be a dick just because someone disagrees with you. Its not unreasonable to ask people to treat fellow users with a bit more respect and courtesy.

@SWP's back ;)

- the casual Islamaphobia. It's not a problem specific to Bluemoon (one look at Twitter or Facebook tells you that), but there are some increasingly abhorrent views being aired on threads about Muslims and Islam. That has to stop.

Obviously we need to do more to stamp it out so will look at how we can do things better, but there needs to be a degree of self-policing too. I know I keep repeating it, but if posts aren't reported they'll often slip under the radar.

I agree with the gist of your post mate, but I'd just like to pose one question.

Most reasonable people will reject slurs against Muslims and overtly xenophobic/bigoted stuff against Muslims, but is criticism of Islam as a faith verboten?

People are free to criticise Christianity and Judaism to their hearts content, and that's made for some classic threads on here - is Islam out of bounds?

Do you think it should be?

I think our societies are growing increasingly secular, people are, by and large, rejecting religion - and I see this as a good thing.

I think it would be a shame if any religion became protected from criticism on here, the fact that people are free to discuss such topics has led to some very interesting debates on here, and I think they'd be a loss to the forum.

I agree with the gist of your post mate, but I'd just like to pose one question.

Most reasonable people will reject slurs against Muslims and overtly xenophobic/bigoted stuff against Muslims, but is criticism of Islam as a faith verboten?

People are free to criticise Christianity and Judaism to their hearts content, and that's made for some classic threads on here - is Islam out of bounds?

Do you think it should be?

I think our societies are growing increasingly secular, people are, by and large, rejecting religion - and I see this as a good thing.

I think it would be a shame if any religion became protected from criticism on here, the fact that people are free to discuss such topics has led to some very interesting debates on here, and I think they'd be a loss to the forum.

No, Islam should be treated in the same way as other religions on here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.