Basic People Management Skills

I'm happy Mancini has come out in public against the players running to the press when they don't get a game.

No more excuses for it now, i'd take it as him going public being a final warning to the squad about crying in the press. It does no good whatsoever and is quickly showing who we can and can't trust to be in a squad where rotation is neccesary.

Given needs to go, we need a number 2 who is happy to be number 2. I doubt any club in the World can keep 2 number 1's in their own right, happy.

Rammy Blue said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread but, in my opinion, part of why this is happening at the moment is due to it not being easy to leave City.

All these guys are on larger wages than they would get at any other club - Ade is on circa 150k per week and when he wants to go he knows he won't get the same contract from any other club. By making a nuisance of himself he then hopes we will subsidize his wages when he finally moves on by us accepting a lower fee to get him off the books. This theory was perfectly executed by Bellamy, and to a certain degree Ireland with his payoff, and is exactly the same as what Given will/is attempting to do.

I agree with that to some extent - although I would say it's a two way street. If you bring a player in on a large contract, who you then deem surplus to requirement some 12 months or so later, then it stands to reason that the player and his representatives are going to want compensation if they can't find a similar contract elsewhere. Well, that's the view I imagine the people involved are taking. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's a business decision for them...<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20 pm --<br /><br />
AntonDonJuan said:
Given needs to go, we need a number 2 who is happy to be number 2. I doubt any club in the World can keep 2 number 1's in their own right, happy.

Totally agree. It would have been nice had it have worked, but it hasn't as is evidenced by Given's continued moaning in the press...

lets face it its all about results, for us, the players and bob. if (as we are now ) struggling to take our chances in front of goal then bob will be questioned as to why ade is not in the side when jo is, if he is truly injured thats fine, if its cos bob has fell out with him and we then field a worse player to compensate then that is bad management in my eyes. it might mean that ade wins the battle but bob will get rid in jan and win the war.
nothing should get in the way of trying to win the games, by jan we could be way too far behind the likes of scum and chelsea should ballotelli not be fit.jo will not get us the goals we need, ade will.

now if we are winning and scoring with whoever in the side and ade comes out moaning bob can be vindiacated and ade will look the prat, as it is now the press are having a field day with us and its not just shay and ade, bob is adding to it.
we can all see where we are heading, we are going to be winning things,the press can't stand that fact and we musn't give them any ammo.
when we have our full squad, his squad, he should by then be settled in to the prem and what its about (and he plays the right subs) we'll hammer teams and the spotlight will turn to what we do on the pitch rather than off it.

the press then can go fuck themselves.
as for the moaning players i think with a trophy or two in sight they will tow the part line and we''ll not hear a peep.

Having just read that Guardian piece, I fail to see what there is to criticize Mancini over.

These players all train on the same training ground as RM, they all share the carrington facilities which contain RM's office. There are a plethora of opportunities for the likes of Given or Ade to approach him and press their case, with the best one being the pitch they train on. Instead they seem to prefer to use our great British press, who of course would never pass up on a gold coated chance to add their own preferred spin on things.

Upto now Mancini has been painted as the dark and distant one, surly and even arrogant, the one who doesn't talk to his players and who refrains from engaging with them. He probably struggles more than most with the language barrier being an obvious issue but when all said and done, I repeat, he shares the same training ground with them and has an office in the building where they lunch and change everyday. If I were one of these disgruntled left out players, at the end of the day when everyone else is heading to the car park, I would be saying 'see you in a couple lads, just wanna quick word with the bossman', but no it seems the modern professional finds it easier to speed dial the local pressman instead.

I imagine after previous interviews (although this is supposition) Mancini will have asked his players not to go to the press to air any greviences. If he didn't then he is stupid and I would squarely have a go at him about that. So assuming he has and we have player(s) still going to the press why the hell should he not. It is (as someone else said) a form of a final warning.

He is quoted as saying 'to become a top team, it's going to be impossible if every few days a player does an interview saying [putting on a sad voice]: 'Oh, I'm not playing.' and he is spot on, what other top clubs players have so frequently broken ranks to the press with comments that are either blatantly critical or can be construed as being critical.

He goes on 'it's time the players here understand that the manager can choose only 11 players and if he leaves someone out it's not because he thinks Manu [Adebayor] or [Mario] Balotelli or Kolo [Touré] are not good players. They can knock on my door and I will always give them an explanation." which is exactly what I have been arguing from about page 10 of this thread. These people need to man up, I could possibly understand a players reluctance if this was that surly aggressive drunk from the swamp, but this is Mancini, he hardly comes across as Dr Evil.

This thread started of with questions being raised about Mancini's approachability, his man management etc. It seems to me that he has always been available for an explanation or a where do I stand chat but the pro's in question have decided to use a different channel to vent their frustrations probably fully in the knowledge that as long as their predicament is in the public domain their chances of forcing a move come January are better (take the Bellamy situation as a prime example). Mancini has quite rightly had enough and has decided to state as much publicly and now it seems that some of you aren't happy with that either citing that the manager shouldn't be making public statements, yet its ok for the players to. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. With his door open comment it wont be as easy for these players to claim the old "he doesn't speak to us" bollocks.

Yours, a raggish blind sheeplike Mancini follower.

de niro said:
as for the moaning players i think with a trophy or two in sight they will tow the part line and we''ll not hear a peep.

That's probably key to it all Bill...this is going to sound a bit harsh, but it's true - top clubs keep their squads generally happy because they are top clubs and have a history of winning things. We're still at the stage in our development where we're not considered a top club, AND, as things stand we've not won anything, nor really challenged for anything big...

It will be much easier in 12 months time if we finish in the top 4 this season and do win something.

de niro said:
lets face it its all about results, for us, the players and bob. if (as we are now ) struggling to take our chances in front of goal then bob will be questioned as to why ade is not in the side when jo is, if he is truly injured thats fine, if its cos bob has fell out with him and we then field a worse player to compensate then that is bad management in my eyes. it might mean that ade wins the battle but bob will get rid in jan and win the war.
nothing should get in the way of trying to win the games, by jan we could be way too far behind the likes of scum and chelsea should ballotelli not be fit.jo will not get us the goals we need, ade will.

now if we are winning and scoring with whoever in the side and ade comes out moaning bob can be vindiacated and ade will look the prat, as it is now the press are having a field day with us and its not just shay and ade, bob is adding to it.
we can all see where we are heading, we are going to be winning things,the press can't stand that fact and we musn't give them any ammo.
when we have our full squad, his squad, he should by then be settled in to the prem and what its about (and he plays the right subs) we'll hammer teams and the spotlight will turn to what we do on the pitch rather than off it.

the press then can go fuck themselves.

Fuck me, a post from de niro that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I need a lie down....

;P

bluemoonmatt said:
Having just read that Guardian piece, I fail to see what there is to criticize Mancini over.

These players all train on the same training ground as RM, they all share the carrington facilities which contain RM's office. There are a plethora of opportunities for the likes of Given or Ade to approach him and press their case, with the best one being the pitch they train on. Instead they seem to prefer to use our great British press, who of course would never pass up on a gold coated chance to add their own preferred spin on things.

Upto now Mancini has been painted as the dark and distant one, surly and even arrogant, the one who doesn't talk to his players and who refrains from engaging with them. He probably struggles more than most with the language barrier being an obvious issue but when all said and done, I repeat, he shares the same training ground with them and has an office in the building where they lunch and change everyday. If I were one of these disgruntled left out players, at the end of the day when everyone else is heading to the car park, I would be saying 'see you in a couple lads, just wanna quick word with the bossman', but no it seems the modern professional finds it easier to speed dial the local pressman instead.

I imagine after previous interviews (although this is supposition) Mancini will have asked his players not to go to the press to air any greviences. If he didn't then he is stupid and I would squarely have a go at him about that. So assuming he has and we have player(s) still going to the press why the hell should he not. It is (as someone else said) a form of a final warning.

He is quoted as saying 'to become a top team, it's going to be impossible if every few days a player does an interview saying [putting on a sad voice]: 'Oh, I'm not playing.' and he is spot on, what other top clubs players have so frequently broken ranks to the press with comments that are either blatantly critical or can be construed as being critical.

He goes on 'it's time the players here understand that the manager can choose only 11 players and if he leaves someone out it's not because he thinks Manu [Adebayor] or [Mario] Balotelli or Kolo [Touré] are not good players. They can knock on my door and I will always give them an explanation." which is exactly what I have been arguing from about page 10 of this thread. These people need to man up, I could possibly understand a players reluctance if this was that surly aggressive drunk from the swamp, but this is Mancini, he hardly comes across as Dr Evil.

This thread started of with questions being raised about Mancini's approachability, his man management etc. It seems to me that he has always been available for an explanation or a where do I stand chat but the pro's in question have decided to use a different channel to vent their frustrations probably fully in the knowledge that as long as their predicament is in the public domain their chances of forcing a move come January are better (take the Bellamy situation as a prime example). Mancini has quite rightly had enough and has decided to state as much publicly and now it seems that some of you aren't happy with that either citing that the manager shouldn't be making public statements, yet its ok for the players to. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. With his door open comment it wont be as easy for these players to claim the old "he doesn't speak to us" bollocks.

Yours, a raggish blind sheeplike Mancini follower.

Matt, you seem like a decent enough fellow. I'm sorry if by rag analogy last night offended you - it genuinely wasn't aimed at you or anyone else in particular. I admire the fact that you can take everything Mancini says at face value.

Didsbury Dave said:
Failsworth_Blue said:
What will bring him down is a lack of results Dave not whether he's keeping a sub keeper or injured striker happy

You're right of course.

But if we keep running a camp where players are disgruntled and insecure, we will continue to underperform. That's what I mean.

He, and City fans, can't continue to blame player after player for these outbursts. He's the manager, he carries the can.

He says he wants a culture like Man United. There is a culture of communication right down the line at Man United. They keep their players happy and motivated. He uses his backroom staff to do it.

"My door is always open " does not cut it. The staff need to be proactive in getting the squad all pulling in the right direction. We've supposedly spent the summer weeding out the "bad apples". How many bad apples are there going to be before we realise that this is a problem?

Like I say, I'm sick of it.
this may come over as a somewhat "brainless or not fit for your superior intellect" kind of statement but I`m pretty sick of you to be honest
Talk about over reacting ,this thread although starting from the disadvantage of being yours has been okay barring De niros obvious attempts to keep it going with contradictary opinions
Then you re- appear and raise my fuckin cockles again with your snide self importance
Shay wants to leave ,City quite understandable only want him to leave on their terms.Mancini hasn`t uttered a bad word in Shays direction yet he gets the slagging .Maybe the finger your so fond of pointing should be in the direction of Garry and Brian Marwood
Shay can leave if the right offer comes in its that simple ,does it need spelling out ?

BillyShears said:
de niro said:

That's probably key to it all Bill...this is going to sound a bit harsh, but it's true - top clubs keep their squads generally happy because they are top clubs and have a history of winning things. We're still at the stage in our development where we're not considered a top club, AND, as things stand we've not won anything, nor really challenged for anything big...

It will be much easier in 12 months time if we finish in the top 4 this season and do win something.

And it will happen Billy

You know it,i know it,and the whole football world know it

Our patience as the fans is the key to it though,we show our approval of Bob and the wheels will turn faster.

flb said:
BillyShears said:

And it will happen Billy

You know it,i know it,and the whole football world know it

Our patience as the fans is the key to it though,we show our approval of Bob and the wheels will turn faster.

I have no doubt it will happen mate, none whatsoever. But I don't for one moment think that us criticizing the manager on a forum will have any bearing on it one way or the other....it's just discussion/conversation whatever you want to call it...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.