Bayern Munich (H) - Tues 11th April, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Pep will do this, but I really want him to play Walker RB and Stones CB, and just have Stones step into midfield from CB rather than RB, and allow Walker to cover the wide areas and be the RCB when they form that back 3.

So instead of Ake-Dias-Akanji behind Rodri-Stones, it's Aké-Dias-Walker behind Rodri-Stones.

I don't think Pep will do this, but I really want him to play Walker RB and Stones CB, and just have Stones step into midfield from CB rather than RB, and allow Walker to cover the wide areas and be the RCB when they form that back 3.
My impression is that Walker playing CB is an accident waiting to happen.

My impression is that Walker playing CB is an accident waiting to happen.

He wouldn't be playing CB, he'd be playing the same position he's played for the last 5 years.

It used to be Dias-Stones-Walker in a 3 behind Zinchenko/Delph and Rodri.

Our system is that 1 of the back 4 steps into the midfield and the others form a line of 3. For ages it was the LB, currently it's the RB, I think the next step is to make it the CB so we can have the benefits of Stones in midfield while also getting the benefits of Walker at RB.

Also I think it just seems to me that you are less out of position and have less distance to cover to get back into the defensive shape if you go forwards from CB than if you go from fullback.

Last edited:

So instead of Ake-Dias-Akanji behind Rodri-Stones, it's Aké-Dias-Walker behind Rodri-Stones.
That maybe a formation we see in the near future.

He wouldn't be playing CB, he'd be playing the same position he's played for the last 5 years.

It used to be Dias-Stones-Walker in a 3 behind Zinchenko/Delph and Rodri.

Our system is that 1 of the back 4 steps into the midfield and the others form a line of 3. For ages it was the LB, currently it's the RB, I think the next step is to make it the CB so we can have the benefits of Stones in midfield while also getting the benefits of Walker at RB.
I really like this idea and have wanted us to try it for a while. I can't remember who it was against but Pep has done it before with Fernandinho where he started as a CB but was moving in to midfield throughout the game.

The only reservations I have about this is surely it's a lot easier for a full-back to drop back in to the defence where he can see across the line than it is for a centre-back. I feel like it's more likely to lead to defensive a mix-up where we end up playing one of their pacey forwards onside which results in a chance for them. I'm not saying it couldn't work but maybe this isn't the right team to try it against.

If the players can make it work though then it could be a masterstroke. We would still be able to use the 3-2-2-3 formation that Pep is currently favouring which gives us a numerical advantage in midfield and provides better protection against counter-attacks. Also, the back four would have absolutely everything: Walker's pace, Stones' ability on the ball, Dias' leadership and the brick wall that is Nathan Ake. In theory, it kind of sounds like the perfect solution but it's just whether it would work in practice, especially against the top teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.