Bayern Munich @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: City Vs Bayern Munich Pre Match Thread

Scaring Europe to Death said:
I don’t hate Bayern. In fact I was in the Allianz for your first game of last season against Monchengladbach.

I think on the whole most City fans respect Bayern, especially as you’ve done us a favour on more than one occasion against United.
The problem as I see it, is that Rummenigge doesn’t respect Manchester City and some of his comments come across as hypocritical, especially as Bayern’s expansion is in danger of weakening the Bundesliga. whilst City’s progress has actually benefitted the Premier League.

Bayern are the biggest team in Germany, but when the Bundesliga was formed in 1963 they weren’t even the biggest team in Munich. However, they were in the right place at the right time, and just like Real Madrid, United and Liverpool, the European Cup/Champions League has made them part of a condescending elite

City arguably have more in common with the yoyo clubs such as Fortuna Dusseldorf or Kaiserslautern (who provided half the team for the Miracle of Berne).
The only way these teams can break the mould is by outside investment, but Rummenigge would rather they stay as they are.

He calls it fair competition, but it all sounds a bit unfair to us.

How do you mean this? And how was the situation better than for example the one of our local competitors 1860 München? They had the same stadium, the same big city and in the 60s and 70s more fans and more money. Other former big clubs like Mönchengladbach, Hamburg or Cologne also once had a very bright future, but managed to make very few out of it.

And while i agree with you, that it is not very easy for a mediocre team to become a top8 club you have to take into account that is nothing that can be accomplished in 4 or 5 years. What you called "the elite" are clubs that were successfull for several decades, that built a global brand and thus managed to gain more money deservedly.

Clubs like Atl. Madrid or Borussia Dortmund nevertheless show, that you can manage to win the CL without belonging to the elite. Although both clubs can´t compete financially with top clubs yet and therefore lose some players, they manage to outshine clubs in the cl, that spend much more money. And becoming a club that financially can compete with the elite takes some years more and a few generations of good teams.

You make it sound like Real, Bayern and Co. got some millions in the 1970s and therefore it is an undeniable fact, that no one can compete with them today.

You also have to note that Bayern wasn´t successfull at all in europe between 2001 and 2009 and that are current team is the result of 5+ years of near perfect work. We also don´t have as much money as Real or Chelsea have...hell YOU spend more money on transfer fees and wages than we do. We had to sell Kroos to Real because he demanded wages that would have made him our top earner and we didn´t want to this...so he moved to madrid.

I don´t want to be insulting but your club is the best example, that just having much money will not make you an european top team, yet you always say that it is obvious that Real and Bayern are at the top just because they have the most money. (which isn´t the case at all when it comes to bayern)

Hart
Sagna kompany demichelis mangala
Zabaleta. Fernando
Milner
Navas. Nasri
Aguero

Zabaleta in midfield to kick everyone, we're not gonna have as much of the ball as usual so the hardwork of zabaleta and miner, with Fernando filling any gaps will be better than an aging lampard being given the run around. Clichys positioning is too poor to defend against robben/ribery, would rather put Mangala out there to get stuck in to him and be strong rather than soft like clichys tackling. Problem with this side is Sagna because I'd have loved nothing more than watching zabaleta break robben/riberys legs.

BigOscar said:
Time to see if not having Yaya in the CL is a blessing in disguise or not. Our best result came without him and he's consistently failed to perform for us in this competition, so it will be good to see how we cope without him. We will surely look a lot more solid in midfield without him, but others will have to step up if we aren't going to miss his recycling of the ball. Should be a good test, but Silva will be badly missed as always, Nasri will need to really step up if we are going to keep the ball well and try and cause them problems.

Problem is that question won't really be answered either, as we'll be missing Fernandinho and Silva, two players that are crucial to being able to play without him. I wouldn't say if a midfield of Milner, Fernando and Lampard fails against Bayern Munich it was due to missing Yaya, for example.

I'm up for this one, especially after Saturday's win. Still can't believe we have a strong chance of qualification with only 2 points from 12!
My team would be:
Hart
Zaba Vinny MDM Clichy
Fernando Lampard
Milner Nasri Jovetic
Aguero

Bench: Willy, Mangala, Sagna, Navas, Pozo, Boyata, Fofana

COME ON CITY!

adrianr said:
BigOscar said:
Time to see if not having Yaya in the CL is a blessing in disguise or not. Our best result came without him and he's consistently failed to perform for us in this competition, so it will be good to see how we cope without him. We will surely look a lot more solid in midfield without him, but others will have to step up if we aren't going to miss his recycling of the ball. Should be a good test, but Silva will be badly missed as always, Nasri will need to really step up if we are going to keep the ball well and try and cause them problems.

Problem is that question won't really be answered either, as we'll be missing Fernandinho and Silva, two players that are crucial to being able to play without him. I wouldn't say if a midfield of Milner, Fernando and Lampard fails against Bayern Munich it was due to missing Yaya, for example.
True, espcially if Pellers just swaps Yaya for Lampard, as that would add nothing at all in terms of what Yaya lacks. I have a horrible feeling that Milner won't play alongside Fernando and instead we'll have just the same problem with lack of energy in midfield and lack of cover for our defence with an ageing, unfit Lampard trundling around in the Yaya role.

bayern fan said:
I don’t hate Bayern. In fact I was in the Allianz for your first game of last season against Monchengladbach.

I think on the whole most City fans respect Bayern, especially as you’ve done us a favour on more than one occasion against United.
The problem as I see it, is that Rummenigge doesn’t respect Manchester City and some of his comments come across as hypocritical, especially as Bayern’s expansion is in danger of weakening the Bundesliga. whilst City’s progress has actually benefitted the Premier League.

Bayern are the biggest team in Germany, but when the Bundesliga was formed in 1963 they weren’t even the biggest team in Munich. However, they were in the right place at the right time, and just like Real Madrid, United and Liverpool, the European Cup/Champions League has made them part of a condescending elite

City arguably have more in common with the yoyo clubs such as Fortuna Dusseldorf or Kaiserslautern (who provided half the team for the Miracle of Berne).
The only way these teams can break the mould is by outside investment, but Rummenigge would rather they stay as they are.

How do you mean this? And how was the situation better than for example the one of our local competitors 1860 München? They had the same stadium, the same big city and in the 60s and 70s more fans and more money. Other former big clubs like Mönchengladbach, Hamburg or Cologne also once had a very bright future, but managed to make very few out of it.

And while i agree with you, that it is not very easy for a mediocre team to become a top8 club you have to take into account that is nothing that can be accomplished in 4 or 5 years. What you called "the elite" are clubs that were successfull for several decades, that built a global brand and thus managed to gain more money deservedly.

Clubs like Atl. Madrid or Borussia Dortmund nevertheless show, that you can manage to win the CL without belonging to the elite. Although both clubs can´t compete financially with top clubs yet and therefore lose some players, they manage to outshine clubs in the cl, that spend much more money. And becoming a club that financially can compete with the elite takes some years more and a few generations of good teams.

You make it sound like Real, Bayern and Co. got some millions in the 1970s and therefore it is an undeniable fact, that no one can compete with them today.

You also have to note that Bayern wasn´t successfull at all in europe between 2001 and 2009 and that are current team is the result of 5+ years of near perfect work. We also don´t have as much money as Real or Chelsea have...hell YOU spend more money on transfer fees and wages than we do. We had to sell Kroos to Real because he demanded wages that would have made him our top earner and we didn´t want to this...so he moved to madrid.

I don´t want to be insulting but your club is the best example, that just having much money will not make you an european top team, yet you always say that it is obvious that Real and Bayern are at the top just because they have the most money. (which isn´t the case at all when it comes to bayern)

I understand what you're saying.

What I don't think you're seeing from other fans' points of view is that for the next 10-15 years, it will be Real, Bayern, Barca and maybe Chelsea that will win the Champions League, with the odd team winning it on a fluke every now and again.

You'll never see anything like Forest coming up from Division 2, winning the League, then winning the European cup (twice). It's all repetitive and boring if every year 3 of Real, Barca, Bayern and Chelsea get in the semi finals. (obviously not for you because it's your team, but for other football fans).

Personally I don't have any problems with Bayern, I've been to your ground a few times to watch City and absolutely love Munich as a City. German football is miles ahead of English football at the moment, hence why Germany are World Champions and we can't even beat Costa Rica!

I don't see why the bigger clubs like Bayern, seem to dislike City though.

bayern fan said:

No, the point I was making is that once you’re in the Champions League, the prize money is so high that it becomes self-perpetuating, thus enabling you to buy the cream of the competition.
This is why traditionally, City fans have referred to it as the CHIMPS League.

In Germany, Dortmund take Reus from Monchengladbach, and higher up the scale, Bayern take players from Dortmund. The end result is that all the best players end up at Bayern. thus weakening the Bundesliga’s overall appeal.

In contrast, assuming that Chelsea win the Premier League, that will mean three different winners for the last three seasons. Southampton are currently second and the main reason for the umpredictablility is that the investment in Manchester City has smashed the cosy cartel (and don’t even get me started on the biggest hypocrite of them all ,Arsene Wenger)

You mention Hamburg and it only seems like yesterday when Olic was terrorising the City defence in the Europa League. Earlier in the campaign, City beat Shalke 2-0.

Now, whatever happened to the Shalke goalkeeper from that game and which rival team cherry picked Olic from Hamburg?

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not having a go at Bayern, or even the Bundesliga, which considering I saw 15 games last season, I’m hardly going to criticise. I’m also aware that Kompany, De Jong and Boateng all ended up at the ETIHAD.

However, in your first post you asked why City fans hated Bayern.
The answer is simple. The vast majority of us don’t.

We just have a different interpretation of FFP.

Manchester33 said:
bayern fan said:

I understand what you're saying.

What I don't think you're seeing from other fans' points of view is that for the next 10-15 years, it will be Real, Bayern, Barca and maybe Chelsea that will win the Champions League, with the odd team winning it on a fluke every now and again.

You'll never see anything like Forest coming up from Division 2, winning the League, then winning the European cup (twice). It's all repetitive and boring if every year 3 of Real, Barca, Bayern and Chelsea get in the semi finals. (obviously not for you because it's your team, but for other football fans).

Personally I don't have any problems with Bayern, I've been to your ground a few times to watch City and absolutely love Munich as a City. German football is miles ahead of English football at the moment, hence why Germany are World Champions and we can't even beat Costa Rica!

I don't see why the bigger clubs like Bayern, seem to dislike City though.
It's the rival English clubs which have reason to resent City as we've "stolen" their place in the Champions League. To Bayern, Real Madrid we're just another foreign rival, and a pushover at the moment

The Champions League is the best club competition in my view, and it's a pity that so many City fans have taken against it because our domestic rivals managed to change the financial rules. That doesn't alter that in terms of quality it's the best football

The English national team has got nothing to do with the quality of the Premiership. Id take the Premiership any day over the Bundesliga or La Liga where 2-3 clubs can win 4-0 every weekend. Must be boring even for Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona fans. Much more of an achievement if your whole league is vibrant and strong.

BigOscar said:
adrianr said:
BigOscar said:

True, espcially if Pellers just swaps Yaya for Lampard, as that would add nothing at all in terms of what Yaya lacks. I have a horrible feeling that Milner won't play alongside Fernando and instead we'll have just the same problem with lack of energy in midfield and lack of cover for our defence with an ageing, unfit Lampard trundling around in the Yaya role.

Yup, a midfield of Fernando and Lampard against Bayern would be just about the most stupid version of 4-4-2 we could ever play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.