BCWFC (A) Arsenal (H) Match Threads/WSL Title Run In:

Problem is mate who would have been brought on? We don’t have the senior members on the bench in each position to come on and make a difference. Apart from Stokes, Houghton and Kennedy who are all defenders the rest are all kids.
I think bringing on Houghton would have changed the performance of the team completely, regardless of her fitness.

One of the issues in the second half was we didn’t really have a leader on the pitch and so no one was consistently making clear we couldn’t continue to fall further and further back in our own half, inviting more and more pressure from Arsenal.

We needed a Rodri or Dias type player to come on and rally the troops, which is exactly what Houghton would have done.

We didn’t actually need more attacking force, we needed more cohesion.

I don't think today was on Taylor, until 25 minutes from the end we were bossing the game, but lost control after Coombs went off. We then lost the ability to retain the ball in forward positions.

Arsenal certainly improved in the second half, but they weren't that good, sadly we invited them on, got deeper and deeper, and you could see it coming like a train light in a tunnel.

What really pissed me off most though, was after the equaliser we started trying to play and attack again, wtf went on in that 20 minutes I've no idea, but it wasn't good enough.

Cant see any other outcome now but a chelsea title sadly.
Taylor could have made changes. We all saw what was coming—as you said, a train in the tunnel. We needed leadership and cohesion; we needed to regain some measure of control before Arsenal scored the equaliser. It was obvious to everyone that was watching.

Him standing with his hands in his pockets, whilst Houghton shouted instructions from the bench, then walking about the pitch after the final whistle smiling and laughing, and giving a frankly bizarrely nonchalant post-match interview, is absolutely on him.

Taylor could have made changes.
The one he did make was taking Coombs off, she had been controlling midfield for me, one of her best games for us, and I've never really rated her, but leaving her on was a risk of a red card, so I understood it. Angeldahl who I think is a better player, probably had her worst game, for me that is where it started going wrong.

The sitting back, and not trying to get forward, really cost us the game though for me, trying to hang on to 1-0 was a serious error, and that is on the players who were on the pitch.

On the bench we had 2 players who were only ever coming for a celebration, the 2 we used, Morgan who I do rate, Mace who has yet to show much, and Blindkilde Brown who is very raw still, plus a backup keeper, and a kid. Not sure who you bring on from that to change what was going on. Steff perhaps for some experience, but otherwise ?

Him standing with his hands in his pockets, whilst Houghton shouted instructions from the bench, then walking about the pitch after the final whistle smiling and laughing, and giving a frankly bizarrely nonchalant post-match interview, is absolutely on him.
Turned it straight off at full time, annoyed by what I saw, and have since been driving 170 miles home, so not seen the aftermath, and won't be now.

I said to my mum as I was leaving, that chelsea will probably score 7 or 8 now, so when I got home, you can imagine my surprise, not.

The one he did make was taking Coombs off, she had been controlling midfield for me, one of her best games for us, and I've never really rated her, but leaving her on was a risk of a red card, so I understood it. Angeldahl who I think is a better player, probably had her worst game, for me that is where it started going wrong.

The sitting back, and not trying to get forward, really cost us the game though for me, trying to hang on to 1-0 was a serious error, and that is on the players who were on the pitch.

On the bench we had 2 players who were only ever coming for a celebration, the 2 we used, Morgan who I do rate, Mace who has yet to show much, and Blindkilde Brown who is very raw still, plus a backup keeper, and a kid. Not sure who you bring on from that to change what was going on. Steff perhaps for some experience, but otherwise ?
I think bringing on Houghton would have changed the game completely, and explained why in a post above.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.