Benefit Street on Channel 4

Becky Howe said film crews did 'anything they could' for shocking footage
23-year-old claimed she was bought energy drinks and fast food
'Stars' of show were not paid - which could have affected benefits claims

'Fungi', an alcoholic, was allegedly given cans of beer for featuring

The channel refuted the allegations - saying they only 'helped out' with food

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Mustard Dave said:
I remember when Channel 4 first broadcast a comedy drama set in a scumbag estate in Manchester, complete with benefit fraud, drugs, thieving and violence. People were all commenting on how realistic it was and it ran for several series.

Channel 4 broadcast a programme with actual footage of benefit fraud, drugs, thieving and violence and it's not really how it is and they are demonising the poor.

Maybe a few really astute folks have the remarkable ability to differentiate between fiction and real life.
It's not that difficult, once you get the hang of it, which is why I stopped myself sending a floral tribute to Roy Cropper this very morning.

Did you read my post?

Blue Hefner said:
Pigeonho said:
Blue Hefner said:
Watching it now.

Never mind being unemployed, on benefits or being a multi-millionaire. There is no excuse for having a house that untidy or having a child with dirty feet(indoors!)
Or giving them a bath/clothing them 'because important people are coming round'. Skanks.

I don't like the idea of programmes like this becuase it lives up to the national stereotype but the people in it don't do themselves any favors!

I'm not a parent but if I was, I cannot imagine putting my child in a locked porch at all never mind '6 or 7' times a day

I'm forever locking my two scamps in the Porsche...

Mustard Dave said:
Mustard Dave said:
I remember when Channel 4 first broadcast a comedy drama set in a scumbag estate in Manchester, complete with benefit fraud, drugs, thieving and violence. People were all commenting on how realistic it was and it ran for several series.

Channel 4 broadcast a programme with actual footage of benefit fraud, drugs, thieving and violence and it's not really how it is and they are demonising the poor.

Maybe a few really astute folks have the remarkable ability to differentiate between fiction and real life.
It's not that difficult, once you get the hang of it, which is why I stopped myself sending a floral tribute to Roy Cropper this very morning.

Did you read my post?

No - I never read the posts I reply to.
Why - did it contain anything of interest?

KpxSte said:
r.soleofsalford said:
students from a wealthier background have a good chance the bank of mum and dad paying, where as poorer students would start their working life with £21,000 debt, before looking to start a family, buy a house or a car or any other debt.

if you dont understand that we as a society wasted money on your education

The lefties

Stopped reading at this point.

Was you offended and took the opportunity to ignore my argument and therefore win by default? You lefties should employ that strategy more often...

I watched 5 mins of it last night and it was too depressing to watch.

Living the way some of them live isn't to my taste but we all come in different shapes/sizes/lifestyles and in direct contravention of what the programme makers want.........I refuse to judge them.

KpxSte said:
KpxSte said:
The lefties

Stopped reading at this point.

Was you offended and took the opportunity to ignore my argument and therefore win by default? You lefties should employ that strategy more often...

It's 'Were' you offended, but I'll put that down to Tory education cuts.
Anyone who considers New Labour to be in any way a 'leftie' party is simply too deluded to debate with.

My two penneth...

The fat lad being pestered to look for work... eventually takes on a job, but works for 4 days and doesn't earn a penny.

Commission only jobs of this nature should be banned...

The government should look into this abuse of labour. I bet the 'threshold' for pay is impossible to achieve?

It wasn't 'voluntary' work was it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.