Benjamin Mendy - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the latter. Heard City are very, very frustrated with him sadly. Fears he simply doesn't have the focus of the rest of the squad. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he moves on in the summer.
What does focus have to do with a cartlidge injury or his ACL?

To recover from ACL in 6 months showed incredible determination. Obviously we don't know about anything off pitch so unfair to comment but I thought Peps comments today were pretty poor.

What does focus have to do with a cartlidge injury or his ACL?

To recover from ACL in 6 months showed incredible determination. Obviously we don't know about anything off pitch so unfair to comment but I thought Peps comments today were pretty poor.

His off the pitch actions have been quite extensively documented actually! It's not exactly hidden that it's a source of great frustration for City. Most recently a whole several hours late for physio for example. It doesnt take a genius to realise Pep's comments were a subtle push to that...

Edit - for example, a lack of focus affects injury recovery time. Turning up late to rehab, partying and messing about too much (when you probs should rest) - even the legging it onto the pitch with a dodgy knee. Funny, yeah, but come on. He did that just to film it for Instagram and the physios were probably fuming. And that's only the stuff we see.

He's liked, defo, but it's easy to see why many think he doesn't take it all seriously.

Last edited:
His off the pitch actions have been quite extensively documented actually! It's not exactly hidden that it's a source of great frustration for City. Most recently a whole several hours late for physio for example. It doesnt take a genius to realise Pep's comments were a subtle push to that...

Edit - for example, a lack of focus affects injury recovery time. Turning up late to rehab, partying and messing about too much (when you probs should rest) - even the legging it onto the pitch with a dodgy knee. Funny, yeah, but come on. He did that just to film it for Instagram and the physios were probably fuming. And that's only the stuff we see.

He's liked, defo, but it's easy to see why many think he doesn't take it all seriously.

From what you say, it looks like he will either get the message pretty sharpish or find himself moved on.

I can't imagine Pep being happy at any player who doesn't take the medical advice or other aspects from his support team seriously .

Mendy gives the impression that he enjoys the lifestyle more than actual football. Seems like social media star rather than top class footballer sadly. If he does not get the message, he will be out pretty sharpish, even if it means taking hit on the books. We simply can't have unprofessional player(s) at all, we are surely now past that stage.

Last edited:
Mendy gives the impression that he enjoys the lifestyle more than actual football. Seems like social media star rather than top class footballer sadly. If he does not get the message, he will be out pretty sharpish, even if it means taking hit on the books. We simply can't have unprofessional player(s) at all, we are surely now past that stage.
I think all the talk of being unprofessional is a bit over the top. He is just injury prone and that's just bad luck. Yes he's missed a treatment time and is on SM a lot. But that's neither here nor there.

If he weren't so injured, it wouldn't matter. And his lifestyle has nothing to do with his injuries.

Gundogan is as professional as they come and almost as injury prone as Mendy.

I think all the talk of being unprofessional is a bit over the top. He is just injury prone and that's just bad luck. Yes he's missed a treatment time and is on SM a lot. But that's neither here nor there.

If he weren't so injured, it wouldn't matter. And his lifestyle has nothing to do with his injuries.

Gundogan is as professional as they come and almost as injury prone as Mendy.
but his lack of focus to his rehab affects his recovery time. I mean being several hours late to physio, come on, if that is not unprofessional then I don't know what is.

edit - also the lifestyle might not affect injuries but it may distract his focus when fit etc.

Last edited:
According to Elano, Mendy was sent home from training for a week back in September for attending a boxing match while he was injured. Can't post a link as it's in the One Football app. Whether it's BS or not, who knows.

but his lack of focus to his rehab affects his recovery time. I mean being several hours late to physio, come on, if that is not unprofessional then I don't know what is.

edit - also the lifestyle might not affect injuries but it may distract his focus when fit etc.

The thing is, as this signing inched closer, even people who hadn't followed his career all that closely were aware by that point that he was a bit of a character and also had struggled with injuries. From what people who work in the game have said, it sounds as though City have an extremely robust scouting policy that puts a lot of onus on also looking at player's character, personality and lifestyle. So in spite of all this, taking into account everything they knew about him, they still aggressively pursued this signing and paid a lot of money for him. To me that suggests one of two things:

1) Despite his wacky social media persona, behind the scenes he is actually a good professional and no more prone to the odd indiscretion than any other player
or
2) He is unprofessional and he doesn't have the mindset or application to play at City.

If it's a case of number 1) then hopefully we'll see him bounce back from this latest injury and finally hit his stride. If it's a case of 2) then we have nobody but ourselves to blame for signing him, no point blaming the player. I'm leaning towards 1) because it just makes no sense to me that we would have signed someone whose temperament is so fundamentally unsuited to how we operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.