Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's he getting on?
Going forward, amazing, had a wonderful moment where he put in an amazing cross to Giroud who should have scored (scored a beauty shortly after though).

Little bit shady defending on our equaliser though, lost an aerial duel which he probably shouldn't have gone into at all, but defending the far post instead.
He didn't and Durmaz got a free shot and scored.

Not just based on tonights game I do find him pretty suspect defensivly. Also seems pretty dangerous with the ball in his own half. Going forward hes an absolute monster though. His crosses makes peak Leighton Baines look like shit.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question - I'm from the US and have only been watching the game for a few years - but what might the reasons be for why the move for Mendy wasn't completed at the same time as Silva if we grant A) Mendy is open (or prefers according to some reports) playing for Pep/City & B) city have done their homework and know what Monoco wants for the player? Not trying to imply I don't think it will happen, and hope it does cause while typing this I just watched him whip in a sick cross vs SWE, just wondering if I should read anything into why both wouldn't be worked out simultaneously.

Legally, buying clubs should agree a fee with the selling club before talking to a player. But the reality of today's market is that all clubs are in touch with agents and usually agree terms with a player before they even make a bid to the player's club.

Everyone knows it goes on, and the only way it messes up if you get cocky like Liverpool and you announce it to the press before you've reached an agreement with the club.

So what usually happens nowadays is, a club will agree terms with the player, his existing club will catch wind of it either through the agent, after an official bid, or the press, and the selling club will then start leaking to the press that other clubs are interested. This is to smoke out any other clubs who might be interested, and also to try and drive up the price the interested club will be willing to pay.

It's more than likely this is the position City are in with Mendy. We've probably got an agreement from the player to come, he's probably said he's happy with the terms we're offering, so all that is left is for us to agree a fee with the selling club. Monaco release to the press that other clubs are interested, we release to the press we're interested in alternatives (Bertrand, Sandro etc). It's all cat and mouse part of the negotiation.

I'm pretty confident that we've agreed terms with Mendy and we'll eventually agree a price with Monaco after the international break is over. I'm not claiming to be ITK, just assuming based on information that's publicly available.

Legally, buying clubs should agree a fee with the selling club before talking to a player. But the reality of today's market is that all clubs are in touch with agents and usually agree terms with a player before they even make a bid to the player's club.

Everyone knows it goes on, and the only way it messes up if you get cocky like Liverpool and you announce it to the press before you've reached an agreement with the club.

So what usually happens nowadays is, a club will agree terms with the player, his existing club will catch wind of it either through the agent, after an official bid, or the press, and the selling club will then start leaking to the press that other clubs are interested. This is to smoke out any other clubs who might be interested, and also to try and drive up the price the interested club will be willing to pay.

It's more than likely this is the position City are in with Mendy. We've probably got an agreement from the player to come, he's probably said he's happy with the terms we're offering, so all that is left is for us to agree a fee with the selling club. Monaco release to the press that other clubs are interested, we release to the press we're interested in alternatives (Bertrand, Sandro etc). It's all cat and mouse part of the negotiation.

I'm pretty confident that we've agreed terms with Mendy and we'll eventually agree a price with Monaco after the international break is over. I'm not claiming to be ITK, just assuming based on information that's publicly available.

Great summary. Makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.