Bernardo Silva - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s been chopped and changed all over the show as well as not getting any real run of games.

After being our best last season, Pep has messed around with him for no reason whatsoever right from the very start this season.

The bloke just has a tendency to overcomplicate things at times.

puts crash helmet on for the incoming flack. I think we will see the best of Bernie once David leaves and its basically a straight choice between Phil and Bernardo . while David is available he gets the nod on most starts over Bernie for the central midfield play maker role, its understandable its Merlin why wouldnt you? Once Bernie can get some consistent starts there i think he will come into his own .

He very much will next season.

Bernardo had his best season when KDB was injured for the majority of it.(18/19)

why do you think that is?
(generally speaking)

I think Bernardo and Mahrez have the same problem, they both want the ball for far too long and make the play ponderous, last year we got by probing our way through but the creativity died. Kev wants the ball moved and gone and the tempo up and neither of them really keep up unless they're bang at it.

I think they're too similar in basic play and it becomes one dimensional, Bernardo was much better last season so Mahrez sat out, Mahrez has been better this year so Bernardo has struggled to nail down a role but neither have been good enough this year.

Pep's insistence on slowing us down and narrowing the play is stifling us, peak Dave and now Foden partner Kev well because they play on the turn, release the ball forwards and join the attack. Dave's decline and the lack of faith in Phil has limited our midfield.

I just don't think there's a role for both Bernie and Mahrez in the same team and I don't think they complement Kev as well as Sane and Raz stretching the play did, although Mahrez is improving in that respect. We need to play wider and drive to the byline and play wingers on their correct side.

The attack is completely unbalanced, not playing to our strengths and means more attacks breakdown and our defence and woeful transition is exposed.

We can look for all the excuses in the world as to why its been the case, some maybe valid others not so much, but the fact is he's been very poor for the majority of the season.
The fact we all know what he's capable of and the brilliance he's shown us previously means I'm happy to call it a blip and not be too hard on him.
He has to show up next year, though he's certainly not alone in that regard.
Hopefully we see him getting back to his best over the course of the next month or so, a strong finish to the season will do him the world of good.

I think Bernardo and Mahrez have the same problem, they both want the ball for far too long and make the play ponderous, last year we got by probing our way through but the creativity died. Kev wants the ball moved and gone and the tempo up and neither of them really keep up unless they're bang at it.

I think they're too similar in basic play and it becomes one dimensional, Bernardo was much better last season so Mahrez sat out, Mahrez has been better this year so Bernardo has struggled to nail down a role but neither have been good enough this year.

Pep's insistence on slowing us down and narrowing the play is stifling us, peak Dave and now Foden partner Kev well because they play on the turn, release the ball forwards and join the attack. Dave's decline and the lack of faith in Phil has limited our midfield.

I just don't think there's a role for both Bernie and Mahrez in the same team and I don't think they complement Kev as well as Sane and Raz stretching the play did, although Mahrez is improving in that respect. We need to play wider and drive to the byline and play wingers on their correct side.

The attack is completely unbalanced, not playing to our strengths and means more attacks breakdown and our defence and woeful transition is exposed.
Bernardo & De Bruyne are not wingers or false 9s.
They are both:
Bernardo Silva told ManCity.com: "You have some areas on the pitch where you feel a little bit more comfortable, but me I've played almost all my career on the right side as an offensive midfielder, or number 8. That's where I feel more comfortable."

so in simple terms: Bernardo Silva & Kevin De Bruyne cannot play in the same midfield together.

David Silva is the only one that plays on the Left side.(Gundogan is awful at the role.)

So with Kevin injured in 18/19 Bernardo got to play in his natural position, and he was excellent.
(until he was pushed to the wings again during the seasons run in when Kevin started coming back, at which point his end product started drying up again)

Now in 19/20 Kevin is healthy and firing, David is losing his legs, and Gundogan is chosen to provide the balance on the left. Bernardo is pushed out to the wings again.

Now how do we fix this problem? The answer is:
Houssem Aouar & Phil Foden.
they both play on the left(Foden plays both sides).

Phil Foden & Kevin De Bruyne is a partnership we have already been used to.
Houssem Aouar & Bernardo is going to be a fantastic partnership of two extremely hardworking attacking midfielders.

Sterling & Mahrez are left to face a 3 v 1 situation constantly during games. Of course they would struggle.

Our team balance has not done a lot of our players any favor. But that will change next season.

We can look for all the excuses in the world as to why its been the case, some maybe valid others not so much, but the fact is he's been very poor for the majority of the season.
The fact we all know what he's capable of and the brilliance he's shown us previously means I'm happy to call it a blip and not be too hard on him.
He has to show up next year, though he's certainly not alone in that regard.
Hopefully we see him getting back to his best over the course of the next month or so, a strong finish to the season will do him the world of good.

I’d put it down to him for playing at such a high level without a break, although I accept that doesn’t seem to bother Messi, Ronaldo, KDB etc.

He needs to do better next season(however next season manifests itself) but for the moment he’s a sub. Marhez on the right with KDB and Foden in midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.