Bernardo Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's anything in Pep's quotes that I wouldn't expect him to say. We know the situation with Bernardo, we know he'd like to go Spain one day. It was the same last season and its the same now. If it doesn't happen he won't kick up a fuss and he'll be great for us.

City will only sell him for alot of money (suspect it will be close to £100m, probably a bit less but we wont do it for cheap and to favour Barcelona) and I suspect we won't sell him unless we have a replacement lined up. City would want this done well before the end of window and won't weaken the squad to facilitate a move a day or two before the window ends IMO.

If he doesn't extend then we might sell him way below market value next year. The question now is, do we sell him this window for about 85m+ (still a low valuation by the way) or do we keep him for one more year and sell for below 50m?
If we don't have a replacement, i would rather sell him next year

The strangest thing with this Bernardo, Barca, FDJ situation is that FDJ is probably the best replacement we could get for Bernardo out there. If Barca really want Bernardo, why dont they just offer FDJ in exchange, if they really want him out? FDJ coming in as Bernardos replacement, if we would sell him, I could accept. I would be a downgrade in my opinion, but I could accept it if Bernardo wanted out. Barca selling FDJ to United/Chelsea, us selling Bernardo to Barca and ending up replacing him with someone like Paqueta would see one club being the big loser in this transfer domino, and that would be us. A Bernardo FDJ swap would make so much more sense for Barca, FDJ and us. Perhaps thats what really holding his deal with United/Chelsea up?

Or, hopefully, the real reason there is no FDJ links to us is because Bernardo is staying and the rest is just noise.
FDJ, will not come to Manchester, it’s a climate thing and nothing will change his mind.

28 next week, 3 years left on his contract, been wanting to leave for 2 years now. Paid £43m for him 5 years ago.

What's the least you'd accept in City's position (assuming we have a replacement lined up)?

For me, anything over €100m (£84.2m) would be a decent fee, and anything less than €90m (£75.8m) would be disappointing.

Appreciate your response mate, and agree with your last statement about targeting global marketing 100%. However...

Please do not take this as disrespect, as perhaps you misunderstood me as notice, perhaps unintentionally a bit of a straw man hint here:

I never suggested, nor would I ever suggest City ONLY care about, or care MORE about marketing in the UK/England and therefore globally as evidenced by signing Grealish.

This is what I wrote last, key details bold and more key underlined:

Also, hard to compare Grealish shirt sales after 1 season that was disappointing to KDB around the peak of his performance level. Signing Grealish is an investment over time where more years are needed to gain the appopriate data to compare.

However, what we can compare somewhat more closely, yet not without flaws I can list, is who is more readily marketable when they arrived at City.

• KDB was the "£55m Flop" that many in the UK questioned even though was Bundesliga POY, after 1 season, but everyone remembers his time at Chelsea.

• Grealish was already a star in England due the Euros and closer PL watchers who don't just check the top 6.

• Grealish was LESS known/marketable globally...

• KDB, in all truth, practically didn't even exist compared to Grealish, in marketing readiness, when we signed him.

• KDB has gone under the radar to more casual/average fans globally really until the last 2 seasons.

I was in the Phillipines summer 2019 and met a fantastic Spainiard bloke whilst on a long day trip who was from Madrid but was actually a massive Barca fan. We talked football for a while and it was great fun.

Yet...this Barca fan, who wasn't a football dummy didn't know who KDB was, nor how good he was.

That says it all to me. Was KDB not a World Class level player in 2019? The club is "Bigger" now, yes, but KDB doesn't have the same more superficial attributes that attracts casual fans that connects to marketability.

If Grealish was at KDB levels he'd sell far more shirts. I'd have no problem putting money on that wager, and I love KDB.
We get very little from shirt sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.