Bernardo Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right Tolmie I don't think the Cancelo situation is comparable though. Pep couldn't wait to get rid of him, proved so by letting him go to the German rags. But with Bernie you get the impression that Pep would let him go over his dead body.

Refusing to let Silva go is self-defeating.

One of City’s major selling points to prospective players, especially those in plenty of demand is a demonstrable commitment to let players leave if they ask to and bring a fair offer.

Switching that to ‘we will let you go if you ask, unless you’re very good, in which case you have to stay’ kills it at source.

You're right Tolmie I don't think the Cancelo situation is comparable though. Pep couldn't wait to get rid of him, proved so by letting him go to the German rags. But with Bernie you get the impression that Pep would let him go over his dead body.

Pep would let Erling go if he came to him and said he wasn't happy.

He wouldn't like it, but City don't act like twats with anyone, factoring in us not being taken for mugs over prices.

I think his options are a bit more limited now though. Barca won’t be at the table. Real might be, long shot would be Atletico but most likely PSG. He’s friendly with their new boss Mbappe so can see him ending up there.
Agree with this, it'll be PSG or he stays for another season.

If he stays another season he becomes more affordable for Benfica too, could potentially see that in 15 months as he enters his final year.

Pep would let Erling go if he came to him and said he wasn't happy.

He wouldn't like it, but City don't act like twats with anyone, factoring in us not being taken for mugs over prices.
That is true. Although I would say that Bernardo always looks like he is enjoying playing for us and he always gives it his all.

Refusing to let Silva go is self-defeating.

One of City’s major selling points to prospective players, especially those in plenty of demand is a demonstrable commitment to let players leave if they ask to and bring a fair offer.

Switching that to ‘we will let you go if you ask, unless you’re very good, in which case you have to stay’ kills it at source.
City are not going to stand in his way although I read an article in which Bernardo mentioned about seeing out his contract if there wasn't to be a suitable buyer for him and up to now nobody has come to City with the right price. Silva obviously understands this, City aren't going to give him away like Barca would like us to.

City are not going to stand in his way although I read an article in which Bernardo mentioned about seeing out his contract if there wasn't to be a suitable buyer for him and up to now nobody has come to City with the right price. Silva obviously understands this, City aren't going to give him away like Barca would like us to.
Agreed. It's as simple as this. It's not like we've priced Bernardo out of the market, but it's hard to take that so many top clubs want him, but the most we've been reputedly offered was a last minute £59m bid from PSG which was below our valuation & too late in the window for us to find a replacement.

Thankfully Bernardo can't blame us for being difficult over his wanting to leave & he isn't acting like a nob over it either. We've been more than fair & understanding, but if other clubs don't feel he's worth what we're asking, he stays where he is.

One thing keeps crossing my mind though... Could it be that because we're City, buying clubs think we're a soft touch who've got more money than sense so will give players away?

What's the most we've ever got for a player?

Agreed. It's as simple as this. It's not like we've priced Bernardo out of the market, but it's hard to take that so many top clubs want him, but the most we've been reputedly offered was a last minute £59m bid from PSG which was below our valuation & too late in the window for us to find a replacement.

Thankfully Bernardo can't blame us for being difficult over his wanting to leave & he isn't acting like a nob over it either. We've been more than fair & understanding, but if other clubs don't feel he's worth what we're asking, he stays where he is.

One thing keeps crossing my mind though... Could it be that because we're City, buying clubs think we're a soft touch who've got more money than sense so will give players away?

£55m for Sane?

Clubs do think we're an easy touch and want our players for next to nothing and this just can't happen. I think Bernardo knows this and that's why he seems chilled about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.