Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

The word legend is a freely and overused expression. However, if ever a word was needed to describe someone it would be that. Rest In Peace Bert Trautmann. A true legend.

This is desperately sad and bad news. Bert was the first idol I ever worshipped as a lad and will always be my greatest sporting hero. As a lad we all played football endlessly on the local park, and the summer of 1956 is the only time I can remember when everyone wanted to be in goal to relive those epic moments when Bert rose, semi-conscious and and in agony, and refused to leave the pitch, preferring to throw himself fearlessly in the way of successive waves of Birmingham attacks to bring the cup to Manchester. When my family stood in the masses at Piccadilly to watch the team bring the cup home he was still in unimaginable pain, and escaped death that day by a whisker. But that was Bert, loyal and faithful whatever the circumstances. And it was Bert, German, paratrooper Bert showing what real Germans could be like rather than the ludicrous parodies put forward in Britain just after the war. And Bert was always far more than a footballer - he was a role model and the personification of reconciliation. And this was something he worked for tirelessly for well over 60 years, and we are all proud of our association and our City's association with a truly great man. It is, therefore, ironic that he succombed to a heart attack - because if there was one thing that would never have failed him or anyone else was his heart. Rest in peace, Bert, you'll always be with us in Manchester.

Part of the fabric that knits our football club together .yes to the idea of calling a stand in his name always a visitor to both Maine Road and the Etihad and his joy when we won the league showed how much city still meant to him

Cant be a Blue over the age of 10 who doesnt know about Bert. In these days of calling people legends because theyve scored a great goal, it makes you wonder what they'd say about him nowadays. I'm priveliged to be part of a club that has people of Bert's calibre as part of its history. R.I.P. Herr Trautmann.

True legend of our club, and one of the biggest fans you could ever meet. Absolute gent of a fella.

RIP mate. Least you got to see us fuck the scum up at the swamp and win the league.

Terrible news and a huge loss. Proper legend. Still have a picture of him that was a gift when my mate told him I was a City fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.