Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

I wish I could have seen this great legend play, heard so much about him that this news has choked me up, puts everything that has happened these past couple of weeks back into perspective. Yet another blue legend taken from us. RIP Trautmann, gone but NEVER forgotten

A few of us bumped into him after the Villarreal away game he even had the time for a chat with us drunks, was my Dads favourite player, City legend R.I.P.

Being a fairly new international City fan, I have to admit I didn't know much about Bert previously aside from FA cup final and injury. But when you get touched this deeply reading stories and watching videos about someone, you realize you've just learned about giant human being. RIP

It's a wet miserable winter's day here in New Zealand - it just got more miserable when I logged onto Soccernet and saw that Bert had passed away.
He was my childhood hero and I was lucky enough to watch him play many, many times.
There are some nice tributes to be found in the media which helps bring back the memories of such a great player and man.
R.I.P. Bert

I was very sad to hear the news about Bert as I had the privilege to work with him on a documantary I did for my Masters degree at Salford University. I was able to speak to many City greats at that time who have also sadly passed away; Ken Barnes and Neil Young amongst them, and all of them talked so highly of him, not only as a brilliant athlete but also as a person who defined the word gentleman and legend.

It was shown at the Manchester City museum and Gary James not only helped me a great deal with my research but also in helping me showing my film to a larger audience.

I have the film that I would like to show here as a tribute to the great man but have no idea how to do that. If someone can send me a personal message and tell me how and then maybe I can add my own personal tribute that will honour the man and the amazing legacy that he left behind him.

Like many, I'm sure a lot of us met Bert briefly when Catrine's book came out. Seemed honoured to have such crowds at Waterstones in town. The shop didn't know who he was and was not prepared for the turnout.

The overwhelming memory was a chap who could not have been much younger than Bert, showing up with old pictures and souvenirs of the time, being absolutely made up that he had finally got to have a word with him. My lady of the time, with no interest at all in football, was reduced to tears by it.

Far too young to have seen him play, but he had a aura in only a quick passing that few would match.

Bert was a true Legend of our great club.
I never saw him play as my watching days only started in 1975/76 season but any true City fan has read our history and understand what a giant this man was in every sense of the word.

I watched the documentary of his life last night on Sky and he had a truly incredible life with many ups and downs. He loved our country, our people, our culture and our club. His story was touching and the Nazis never managed to brainwash "our" Bert who was a much bigger and better man.

We should celebrate his life and be grateful for his services to MCFC. I hope we find a truly fitting way to honour the life of this Legend !

RIP big fella

Just seen this in the LA Times, not surprised to be honest, with the level of stupidity, not to mention ignorance, some Americans show to other countries.

Bert Trautmann dies at 89; ex-Nazi and star England soccer goalie

I've added my comment, Might be a good idea to add a few more.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bert-trautmann-20130720,0,7103262.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 3262.story</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.