Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

Just came to pay my respects to one of the greats. I never saw Bert play but my dad, uncle, and granddad used to go to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next. That's how it was in the 50s. My dad always said that Bert Trautmann was the greatest goalie he'd ever seen; maybe the equal of Frank Swift, a man he hero-worshipped.

I met Bert once long after he'd retired at the Manchester Evening News offices on Deansgate. He signed an autograph that I took home to my old man and, as red as he was, it took pride of place in his collection of football memorabilia alongside signed pictures of Frank Swift and Duncan Edwards.

It's a times like this was we ought to forget the rivalry and remember a great player who did more in his life than most can aspire to. RIP.

Tears in my eyes.

I've just let my dad know but didn't know how crushing it would be to me.

Although I never saw him play, my dad would tell me at every opportunity when I was a kid just what a hero of his Bert was, how he would pick the ball up with one hand, how he was like a barn door in front of goal, how he came to the country and of course the cup final.

Lets show the world what he meant to us Blues.

Terrible news, RIP Bert and my sincerest condolences to his family.

A true city and footballing legend.

Blue streak. Spot on should have been done when he was well enough to have been here to see it. with out a doubt a top a top LEGEND.

A Gentleman and an ambassador of the game of football , a credit to himself , his family our club and to Germany itself.

R.I.P. BERT .

A True Legend ...!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.