best european weekend getaway for a couple

Rome or Florence - great restaurants and loads to see and they are both dead romantic - waheyy!

rickmcfc said:
Andy Dale said:
Madrid is beautiful. Will be colder in october tho as its the highest capital in Europe. Benidorm it is not.

Very good quiz question that. Not many people get it!

Thats a fantastic quiz question actually. Think I'll be asking that one in the office tomorrow!

Bluemoon dan said:
rickmcfc said:
Andy Dale said:
Madrid is beautiful. Will be colder in october tho as its the highest capital in Europe. Benidorm it is not.

Thats a fantastic quiz question actually. Think I'll be asking that one in the office tomorrow!

Spain also has the highest road in Europe, and is the second most mountainous after Switzerland.

Roma for us, easy to get around as its a lot more compact than a lot of euro capitals. Food and vino excellent as you'd expect in italy and not as expensive as I thought it would be. We went when rugby was on in Feb, only downside was the freak snowstorm but the Romans were as surprised by it as we were.

rickmcfc said:
Bluemoon dan said:
rickmcfc said:

Spain also has the highest road in Europe, and is the second most mountainous after Switzerland.

Not many people will get it because it's the wrong answer!

Madrid: 667m above sea level
Andorra La Vella: 1023m above sea level

There is also no universal accepted definition of what a mountain is so Spain may be the second most mountainous country in Europe by one definition, but not by others.

Spain does indeed have the highest 'paved' road in Europe (i.e. metalled road), the Pico Veleta at 3380m but the general public are only allowed to drive up to the ski base station, somewhere between 2100m & 2600m depending on which source you believe ;-)

Carver said:
rickmcfc said:
Bluemoon dan said:

Not many people will get it because it's the wrong answer!

Madrid: 667m above sea level
Andorra La Vella: 1023m above sea level

There is also no universal accepted definition of what a mountain is so Spain may be the second most mountainous country in Europe by one definition, but not by others.

Spain does indeed have the highest 'paved' road in Europe (i.e. metalled road), the Pico Veleta at 3380m but the general public are only allowed to drive up to the ski base station, somewhere between 2100m & 2600m depending on which source you believe ;-)

Anyway I dont care,Madrid is still lovely. It has great restaurants, fantastic builings and shopping. The night life is very good if you leave it till later in the evening.Nobody about till 10ish then it really picks up. A different Spain to that we usually see. Its not Magaluf and you wont see an English breakfast for 2 Euros anywhere.

Add Venice to your thought list, very romantic especially at night, plenty to see in Venice and surrounding islands, cheap Prosecco wine and restaurants if you do your homework

We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Did Barcelona, Valencia, Benahavis, Granada and Madrid.

I'd recommend all of them for their own reasons, but Valencia and Madrid are now two of my favourite European cities. Madrid is a sensational city, while Valencia also has the benefit of a great beach. Both have amazing architecture, great restaurants, excellent nightlife and cheap booze. Wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in Valencia and I had a bucket of 5 Estrellas at a pavement cafe on the Gran Via in Madrid for 3 Euros last week while waiting for the Euro 2012 parade!

Take your pick - You can't go wrong with either of those.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.