Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

Knight1979 said:
The Associates are often overlooked in new wave discussions. Incredible musicians even if the vocals were a bit much sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-Joajg9sw

pretty amazing Duran Duran like bassline on this one. Not the most masculine music either but that's new wave for ya.

Word on The Associates,Knight.
Tragic end for Billy Mackenzie as well - never got over losing his mother/coming to terms with his sexuality.
Apparently was close to Morrissey for a while;(a couple of biographies reckon "William,It Was Really Nothing"was written about him).
Saw them support Siouxsie & The Banshees a couple of times - certainly a very distinctive voice.
Personal punk favourite: The Clash/Remote Control.

Knight1979 said:
Shit NF!....not only did you beat me to the Morrissey connection you saw them live?!

Always a bit wary of using the "M" word on here mate - seems to cause the kind of vendettas that make the Cosa Nostra look like a Buddhist retreat!
But apparently they were an "item" for a while and,perhaps strangest fact of all,Johnny Marr;(not Morrissey),attended his funeral.

I'm going to say a track by Elvis Costello (mainly because he rarely gets a mention on here)...Pump It Up.
Just one of many great tracks from those days.

tonea2003 said:
Dave H said:
tonea2003 said:
could go on and on with good songs of this ilk
but with regards to being played live

johnny was - slf

is absolutely awesome

Seconded.

what does it for me is that jake burns sings it with such passion

hairs on the back of the neck and all that

Yep.... it's fecking ace live.

The voice... the drums in the background.

I love the original version by Bob too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.