Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

southside blue said:
kind of suprised to not see joy division mentioned, certainly they'd have to count?

They were in my list but then I scrapped it as I didnt want to get into the whole 'what is punk/new wave' etc.

Are we classing punk as starting and ending with the pistols? Or can we include the NY CBGB scene? I'm hoping we can instantly dismiss any 'punk' band post 1980?

Then you get into new wave which seems to be a label that most bands who emerged post 1977 fit.

It's a minefield I didnt want to get into as music debates on here usually degenerate into bitter arguments and I cant be arsed going there at the moment.

At uni last year I was working my magic on a young girl who told me she liked 'punk', I was pleasantly surprised and started to tell her of my love for Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks and the CBGB lot when she said I was 'old school' and she went on to name lots of modern american bands who wear big shorts and shout a lot.

BTâ„¢ said:
Very early Adam and the Ants.

Don't keep making me agree with you. Deutcher Girls is superb.

Ever fallen in love, Teenage Kicks, My Perfect Cousin, Pretty Vacant, London Calling.

Everything by Blondie before Autoamerican, especially the Blondie and Plastic Letters albums.

malkie said:

How feckin' funny were these guys? Used to go and see them nearly every week in early 80's at The Band On The Wall.
Drummer Bruce still in Duritti Column now? C.P. Lee an author, and got a band going around with one of the Albertos guitarists, called The Salford Sheiks.
I remember a couple of years after they split up, seeing their bassist, Captain Mogg, (Possibly not his real name) at some gig. Asked him what he was up to, and he said he had been in a local soul type band, but had just quit as 'they were going nowhere'. 'What was the name?' I said.
'Simply Red' he replied......
Last saw him busking with another guy in town, had a bit of a crowd watching, they asked for 'Any requests?'. Had to do it....'Know any Simply Red?' He went purple.......

Got my 12 and 8 year old daughters into a bit of good music. They particular like

Undertones - Mars bars
Ian Dury - Mash it up Harry, and Clever Trevor

Younger one is well into Home Computer - Kraftwerk

Teenage kicks/My perfect cousin - Undertones
Ever fallen in love/Harmony in my head - Buzzcocks
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
Take the skinheads bowling - Camper Van Beethoven
Blitzkrieg Bop/Beat on the Brat - Ramones
God save the Queen - Sex Pistols
Watching the detectives - Elvis Costello
Heart of Glass - Blondie

Alty Blue said:
Got my 12 and 8 year old daughters into a bit of good music. They particular like

Undertones - Mars bars
Ian Dury - Mash it up Harry, and Clever Trevor

Younger one is well into Home Computer - Kraftwerk

have managed to get my lad into jimmy jimmy - the undertones

TheMightyQuinn said:
southside blue said:
kind of suprised to not see joy division mentioned, certainly they'd have to count?

I'm hoping we can instantly dismiss any 'punk' band post 1980?

But that would rule out a lot of SLF's newer stuff, some of which is excellent, nah all of which is excellent. Every Dollar a Bullet, Get A Life, the night that the wall came down.....
But there again, i like Now Then as much as the Inflammable Material album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.