Best goal ever seen......

We cleared the decks of the big names and high earners, starting before relegation and continuing that summer. Hartford was the only one who stayed on, with the likes of Corrigan, Cross, Tueart, McDonald and Reeves, plus squad players such as Boyer and Bodak, shown the door.

IIRC, we did have offers for Hartford but I think Billy McNeill saw him as someone whose quality would help us to dominate the midfield at that level and whose experience would be useful alongside the various young players who'd be in the side. It didn't work, though, as Asa got a bad injury early in the 1983/4 season and made only seven appearances in total (which is probably why you don't remember him being there at that time).
I think Tommy Caton stayed for a bit too didn’t he, before Arsenal signed him? Not long into the 83/84 season, but I’m pretty sure he did a short shift after we went down.

I think Tommy Caton stayed for a bit too didn’t he, before Arsenal signed him? Not long into the 83/84 season, but I’m pretty sure he did a short shift after we went down.

Yes, that's right. He stayed for the first three months or so of the season, but wanted to leave because at that time he was thought of as a genuine England prospect and didn't want to be playing in the second tier. As soon as he went, we bought Mick McCarthy to replace him.

We cleared the decks of the big names and high earners, starting before relegation and continuing that summer. Hartford was the only one who stayed on, with the likes of Corrigan, Cross, Tueart, McDonald and Reeves, plus squad players such as Boyer and Bodak, shown the door.

IIRC, we did have offers for Hartford but I think Billy McNeill saw him as someone whose quality would help us to dominate the midfield at that level and whose experience would be useful alongside the various young players who'd be in the side. It didn't work, though, as Asa got a bad injury early in the 1983/4 season and made only seven appearances in total (which is probably why you don't remember him being there at that time).
It helped that he was Scottish.

Still think that Sergio's goal in the away League Cup fixture against Arsenal in November 2011 is right up there with the best I've ever seen. Not so much for Sergio's finish — he is what he is and he does what he does — but for Dzeko's astonishing part in it. Utterly delicate lay-off from Adam Johnson, too. It's forgotten now, because it didn't lead to anything. But I always want to beat the drum for great, forgotten goals.
Mind you, I don't somehow think that any blue who was at the Emirates that night will ever forget it.

That goal is pure filth.

Best team goal I think I have ever seen for intricate passing then speed of execution. Leroy was on fire that game.

If you're thinking of goals as collective efforts (rather than individual exploits out of nothing), you could probably pick out some ten goals or so from that season and put them in the pantheon of the hundred greatest goals ever scored by a City team.
The moment when I realised that something very special was going to happen that season was the Watford away game. We reduced them to looking like a bunch of kids running around in the schoolyard at break, looking for an unfindable ball. I'm not sure that I've ever seen professional footballers in any division, let alone the premier one, made to look so ridiculous. It really was football from a different galaxy from us.

Yes, good shout. I think I was on the Kippax for that. Is that the one where he knows that Jennings is going to use his feet to block (it was Jennings' trade mark) and he just dummies, lures him into doing it and then dinks the ball over him?
North stand end?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.