best places to eat in manchester

The Stock Exchange on Norfolk St , The best Italian in Manchester by far.

For a city the size of Manchester it is a culinary backwater in comparison to what it should be. Great for decent restaurants, but such a lack of real top notch quality eateries.

The Curry Mile is little more than a series of snack bars, and I can't believe that there isn't even one quality establishment there.

Chinatown is okay, but only probably two top places (Yang Sing and Cross Street), the rest is bargain bucket.

Apart from Kroma, the Italian stuff is all chain restaurants, although I hear San Carlos is good.

Not one real quality English restaurant, and even the hotels no longer cater for the higher end of the market.

Contrast that to the Ribble Valley where there must be 20 top notch eateries, Indian, English, Italian, the lot.

I rarely eat out in Manchester nowadays are there are far better places in the suburbs (the Chinese in Middleton Junction, the Indian on Cheetham Hill Road, etc.). It's all glass and chrome cafe bars... okay for the kids but piss-poor for us foodies!

MCFCinUSA said:
no one's mentioned ABDUL's of Oxford Road yet?

LMAO

all fresh flame grilled chicken kebab with chili sauce, yoghurt & veggies served in a naan; fit for a king!

(edit: chili not curry sauce - damn, how could I make such a culinary faux pas? I think I'll have to go fall on my carving sword now)

A lot of people actually seem to like that place. I think it's fucking dreadful

Soulboy said:
For a city the size of Manchester it is a culinary backwater in comparison to what it should be. Great for decent restaurants, but such a lack of real top notch quality eateries.

The Curry Mile is little more than a series of snack bars, and I can't believe that there isn't even one quality establishment there.

Chinatown is okay, but only probably two top places (Yang Sing and Cross Street), the rest is bargain bucket.

Apart from Kroma, the Italian stuff is all chain restaurants, although I hear San Carlos is good.

Not one real quality English restaurant, and even the hotels no longer cater for the higher end of the market.

Contrast that to the Ribble Valley where there must be 20 top notch eateries, Indian, English, Italian, the lot.

I rarely eat out in Manchester nowadays are there are far better places in the suburbs (the Chinese in Middleton Junction, the Indian on Cheetham Hill Road, etc.). It's all glass and chrome cafe bars... okay for the kids but piss-poor for us foodies!

have to agree, Manchester is 2nd only to London for the variety of cuisine you can get, but when it comes to top notch dining we've nothing.

Some places to head for....

Stock (Italian) in the city centre is good
Ramsons (italian) in Rammy is good (pricey)
San Minis (southern Indian) again in Rammy is very good
Persia Grill (opposite souther cem) very good persian food
Alborz (levenshulm) again good persian food
Northcote Manor (between Blackburn and Preston) good for fine dining.

and the most unlikely was The Drawing Room, good british food, nice restaurant on Moston lane..so you might want to think about where you go for pre-dinner drinks (;-)

OxBlue said:
Soulboy said:

have to agree, Manchester is 2nd only to London for the variety of cuisine you can get, but when it comes to top notch dining we've nothing.

Some places to head for....

Stock (Italian) in the city centre is good
Ramsons (italian) in Rammy is good (pricey)
San Minis (southern Indian) again in Rammy is very good
Persia Grill (opposite souther cem) very good persian food
Alborz (levenshulm) again good persian food
Northcote Manor (between Blackburn and Preston) good for fine dining.

and the most unlikely was The Drawing Room, good british food, nice restaurant on Moston lane..so you might want to think about where you go for pre-dinner drinks (;-)

Stock is excellent as is Northcote.
The Drawing Room is no longer open. It closed a few years ago and became 'The Olive' which was as good if not better.
It's now some sort of African brothel like most of Moston Lane, sadly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.