best places to eat in manchester

PistonBlue said:
Challenger1978 said:
Does no one rate Heathcotes or the MalMaison Brasserie ?

Went to Heathcotes once, thought it was really pretentious. Not impressed.
Never been to Malmaison.

been to a few in the Heathcote chain, all OK, but none stand out.

Only eaten breakfast at the Mal Maison, Eggs Benedict were very good.

The food in the Malmaison is shite, its just like one of those shit beefeter types of pit but on a fancy placy with nice surroundings.

OxBlue said:
Soulboy said:
For a city the size of Manchester it is a culinary backwater in comparison to what it should be. Great for decent restaurants, but such a lack of real top notch quality eateries.

The Curry Mile is little more than a series of snack bars, and I can't believe that there isn't even one quality establishment there.

Chinatown is okay, but only probably two top places (Yang Sing and Cross Street), the rest is bargain bucket.

Apart from Kroma, the Italian stuff is all chain restaurants, although I hear San Carlos is good.

Not one real quality English restaurant, and even the hotels no longer cater for the higher end of the market.

Contrast that to the Ribble Valley where there must be 20 top notch eateries, Indian, English, Italian, the lot.

I rarely eat out in Manchester nowadays are there are far better places in the suburbs (the Chinese in Middleton Junction, the Indian on Cheetham Hill Road, etc.). It's all glass and chrome cafe bars... okay for the kids but piss-poor for us foodies!

have to agree, Manchester is 2nd only to London for the variety of cuisine you can get, but when it comes to top notch dining we've nothing.

Some places to head for....

Stock (Italian) in the city centre is good
Ramsons (italian) in Rammy is good (pricey)
San Minis (southern Indian) again in Rammy is very good
Persia Grill (opposite souther cem) very good persian food
Alborz (levenshulm) again good persian food
Northcote Manor (between Blackburn and Preston) good for fine dining.

and the most unlikely was The Drawing Room, good british food, nice restaurant on Moston lane..so you might want to think about where you go for pre-dinner drinks (;-)

Been to the Northcote Manor on many occasions (it's actually one of the places I was referring to in the Ribble Valley).

There's also The Three Fishes, The Emporium, Duke of York, Bakkarah's, Ashoka, La Laconda... all in the Ribble Valley area.

I've heard the hotel at the Airport is possible the best in the area...

If you want magnificent real ale and good quality English pub grub then go to The Marble Arch, it's better than any of the Chop Houses by a million miles

Soulboy said:
OxBlue said:
have to agree, Manchester is 2nd only to London for the variety of cuisine you can get, but when it comes to top notch dining we've nothing.

Some places to head for....

Stock (Italian) in the city centre is good
Ramsons (italian) in Rammy is good (pricey)
San Minis (southern Indian) again in Rammy is very good
Persia Grill (opposite souther cem) very good persian food
Alborz (levenshulm) again good persian food
Northcote Manor (between Blackburn and Preston) good for fine dining.

and the most unlikely was The Drawing Room, good british food, nice restaurant on Moston lane..so you might want to think about where you go for pre-dinner drinks (;-)

Been to the Northcote Manor on many occasions (it's actually one of the places I was referring to in the Ribble Valley).

There's also The Three Fishes, The Emporium, Duke of York, Bakkarah's, Ashoka, La Laconda... all in the Ribble Valley area.

I've heard the hotel at the Airport is possible the best in the area...

Moss Nook in Heald Green - v good but expensive

Eaten here twice and it's better than anywhere else I've been to in manchester foodwise:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bookatable.com/uk/106439/michael-caines-at-abode-manchester?gclid=CIjslOni1KECFdGX2Aodx1H3JA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bookatable.com/uk/106439/mic ... 2Aodx1H3JA</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.