Best side of the Premier League era?

The Arsenal invincibles. Bergkamp and Henry was the greatest striker pairing in Premier League history, whatever the stats say. Two genuinely world class superstars at the very peak of their powers.
Shame their fans are such pompous, self-righteous, hypocritical gobshites.

It has to be the 99 United team, though its a close call between them and the Arsenal Invincibles. People talk about the United team of 2008, but I feel they don't come close to the 99 treble winning team. Call me biased, but I think United were very lucky that season (07-08).

It's between the Invincibles and United 99 for me. That Chelsea was good but they didn't really have much strong competition. Arsenal were on the decline by then and United were plain shite. They did okay in Europe but should have done better.

Unknown_Genius said:
It has to be the 99 United team, though its a close call between them and the Arsenal Invincibles. People talk about the United team of 2008, but I feel they don't come close to the 99 treble winning team. Call me biased, but I think United were very lucky that season (07-08).
I agree about the two United sides. The 08 side had the potential to be better, perhaps as good as Arsenal's side, but they didn't live up to it. Far too many last gasp and untidy wins involved that season for me to consider them truly great (including the CL final, very lucky) - despite the talent they had man for man.

Castiel said:
Unknown_Genius said:
I agree about the two United sides. The 08 side had the potential to be better, perhaps as good as Arsenal's side, but they didn't live up to it. Far too many last gasp and untidy wins involved that season for me to consider them truly great (including the CL final, very lucky) - despite the talent they had man for man.
99 CL win was last gasp, we won the league by 1 point, and we were incredibly lucky in that FA semi.

I think around 08/09, we had far better competition to overcome than we did 10 years previously. At least domestically, anyway.

Viva Rivaldo said:
99 CL win was last gasp, we won the league by 1 point, and we were incredibly lucky in that FA semi.

I think around 08/09, we had far better competition to overcome than we did 10 years previously. At least domestically, anyway.
I guess it works both ways then but I just expected 08 to be better looking back at them. Slow start to the season IIRC, the team didn't gel as well as it could have. Though can't argue with results.

Castiel said:
Viva Rivaldo said:

I guess it works both ways then but I just expected 08 to be better looking back at them. Slow start to the season IIRC, the team didn't gel as well as it could have. Though can't argue with results.
Yeah, that was what I meant above. We shoehorned Ronaldo into the side as much as we could - as he guaranteed results - whilst it stunted some of our play a bit.

Our best thing about that period was our defence tbh. Rio/Vidic/Evra at their respective peaks.

I'm surprised the Rags' team of 1992-1994 hasn't been given at least a passing mention yet. I appreciate that the PL these days is of a higher quality than the early years but that team played arguably the best football of Ferguson's managerial career.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.