Biggest Cult Hero?

d632ad5b24f8e79dbd51522deae10944.jpg

179382869_10221986070135687_3350609670587166421_n.jpg

Saw this picture posted on Facebook recently. "Skip" taking the Michael out of his then coach "Big Mal". Thought older city fans might be interested.

Tony Book gets my vote as "The Cult Hero", what a rags (sorry) to riches story. As a youngster imagine you live in a city where only non league football is played, but having one of your own, rising from non league to captaining the best team in the land. Inspirational! He subsequently becomes manager, wins a cup and nearly the league. Then 30+ years later he gets to help bring the clubs first championship trophy for 44 years onto the pitch for presentation. What a story?

Not seen any of the following mentioned: J Corrigan, T Coton, T Francis, D Watson. P Barnes and G Owen (both sold too soon) "Sir Joe" Royle, B Kidd. I Brightwell and R Palmer (for equalising at the swamp when we were awful), T Morley for that goal at Bradford and T Cooke who was very popular during our darkest but ultimately successful year.

Terry Cooke? There were many who - before it happened - felt whether we could afford to sign him permanently after his loan would make or break that mad, maddening season.

Mr Rosler. Cult heros come and go. Plenty over the years. Usually a bright light in a shite team. Kinky and Ali B.

Terry Cooke? There were many who - before it happened - felt whether we could afford to sign him permanently after his loan would make or break that mad, maddening season.
Cooke was popular largely due to his early form and the song that was not PC. As a player he was great in those first few games for us and gave us a bit of a lift when everything else was negative. But overall he was poor, he only played around 20 games for us and ended up on loan after loan for most of his contract. I guess it all comes down to timing with him - he was possibly our best player for a handful of games at our worst time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.