Biggest shithole in manchester?

That’s not actually true. Certain types of crimes, possibly yes.

But the most deprived areas are the areas where the most crimes occur.

And there is mountains of statistical evidence to back it up and studies to explain why.
I have no doubt you are correct in the bigger scheme of things.

Chancer crime though is the type of crime majority of people usually encounter daily.

A brick through your Car window at Traffic Lights for your Mobile or the wife's Hand Bag.

Or if you have a nice Car being Jacked for it.

I am Told those Car washes all over Manc Land can make over 5,000 000 a year.:-)

As do the takeaways sat side by side, each with lots of staff working in them.
Even though nearly always empty of customers, apart from a few drunks at closing time ...

Cheetham Hill and Hollinwood are absolute shitholes. No pride in the area by those who live there, full of rubbish and generally run down and dirty.

If you don't take pride in your house and garden, don't expect anyone to either.

Both places need bulldozing and starting again!
I watched a programme a few years ago that was a competition to find Britain’s best village.

What I noticed in every single one of them was that people weren’t just taking responsibility for their own houses and gardens but also the pavement, railings and street in front of them n’all.

One fella was painting the railings on the end of his road and the presenter asked why he was doing it and he said ‘well the Council are busy enough and need to spend their money elsewhere, and nobody else is going to do it, so I decided I should with the spare paint I had in my shed. It’s good for everyone in the village’.

It’s not like all these villages all have well-off people living in them neither. There wasn’t anything that would suggest most of the houses were worth that much or owned by anyone with any money behind them. Just that they had pride in where they came from and so looked after it.

You’d be hard pushed to find three houses in a row that looked after their front door in some areas of Manchester. Could you imagine that 60-80 years ago?

When my Mother lived in Moss Side she said nobody had any money at all but every house was well presented and the streets were clean and tidy, looked after by the people who lived down those streets. She said it was like that until about the 1970s.

People have got no pride in themselves, their homes or their areas anymore in a lot of places these days around Manchester.

I watched a programme a few years ago that was a competition to find Britain’s best village.

What I noticed in every single one of them was that people weren’t just taking responsibility for their own houses and gardens but also the pavement, railings and street in front of them n’all.

One fella was painting the railings on the end of his road and the presenter asked why he was doing it and he said ‘well the Council are busy enough and need to spend their money elsewhere, and nobody else is going to do it, so I decided I should with the spare paint I had in my shed. It’s good for everyone in the village’.

It’s not like all these villages all have well-off people living in them neither. There wasn’t anything that would suggest most of the houses were worth that much or owned by anyone with any money behind them. Just that they had pride in where they came from and so looked after it.

You’d be hard pushed to find three houses in a row that looked after their front door in some areas of Manchester. Could you imagine that 60-80 years ago?

When my Mother lived in Moss Side she said nobody had any money at all but every house was well presented and the streets were clean and tidy, looked after by the people who lived down those streets. She said it was like that until about the 1970s.

People have got no pride in themselves, their homes or their areas anymore in a lot of places these days around Manchester.
What was it that changed in the 1970s do you think?

Totally agree.

It amazes me when I see people sat in their houses with litter and crap in the front garden and they can't be arsed to go and pick it up and put it in the bin. Houses with dirty windows, dirty walls, numbers painted on bricks, dirty curtains and the like. Just keep your local area tidy!

In our street, we always pick up rubbish if a bin blows over etc and if anyone has spare plants in pots we put them around the street and it really brightens the place up.

We put a lot of effort into getting to know our neighbours and looking after each other and it really pays off. And best of all, it doesn't cost either.

. I used to work all over North Manchester quite a few years ago, The other day I had the misfortune to drive from Blackley to leafy Urmston. I went via Crumpsall,Cheetham Hill and the ring road up to the Mancunian Way. What a friggin 3rd world dump . It took about 2 hours to drive 7 miles due to the gridlock of our growing metropolis.

What was it that changed in the 1970s do you think?
It didn’t help that people were being told they lived in slums when a great deal of the houses were perfectly fine. Tell people they live in slums and start tearing down the housing and leaving rubble in their place will make people feel like they’re losing their connection to where they live.

A lot of houses in Moss Side and Hulme were torn down to make way for the Princess Parkway to go all the way up to Town yet it never even made it as far as Southern Cemetery but those houses were gone forever for no reason in the end.

Families who lived side-by-side in streets and close knit friends were being split up as some were sent to places like Wythenshawe, others to places in North Manchester, others staying in the inner-city either where they were already or moved in the newer uglier letter-box-window houses or brutalist flats.

My Mother said that in the 1960s people didn’t ever lock their doors at night, never mind in the day. But by the time she left in 1974, there were prostitutes on her street at night and there was a very edgy feel to the area. Things like litter, sofas and mattresses in ginnels - which would have been frowned upon and shifted immediately in decades gone by - were a regular sight.

They were moved to Wythenshawe in 1974.

I was born in Beswick and brought up in Clayton. Everyone and my mum included spent hours, cleaning the step of the two up two down terraced house we lived in. The whole street (Stanton Street) was spotless.

knocked the fucker down about 8 month ago mate.should of kept some of the dicks inside while they did it.the elizabethan(lizzy) ran by big city fan.lord clive still going strong.how could you possibly forget the dragon,just about still going.did you know a city lad (half caste) called raymond p off oak lane?
Went to the full members cup final 86 on a coach from the dragon pub Whitefield. Some characters on that shara.

It didn’t help that people were being told they lived in slums when a great deal of the houses were perfectly fine. Tell people they live in slums and start tearing down the housing and leaving rubble in their place will make people feel like they’re losing their connection to where they live.

A lot of houses in Moss Side and Hulme were torn down to make way for the Princess Parkway to go all the way up to Town yet it never even made it as far as Southern Cemetery but those houses were gone forever for no reason in the end.

Families who lived side-by-side in streets and close knit friends were being split up as some were sent to places like Wythenshawe, others to places in North Manchester, others staying in the inner-city either where they were already or moved in the newer uglier letter-box-window houses or flats.

My Mother said that in the 1960s people didn’t ever lock their doors at night, never mind in the day. But by the time she left in 1974, there were prostitutes on her street at night and there was a very edgy feel to the area. Things like litter, sofas and mattresses in ginnels - which would have been frowned upon and shifted immediately in decades gone by - were a regular sight.

They were moved to Wythenshawe in 1974.
Thanks for that reply. Yes, I’ve seen some of the footage of Hulme Crescents and it’s a wonder they expected anyone to make a success of life there, though I’m sure some folk did. An era when decisions were made about people, for people, without people having a say - by people who would never in a million years live in properties like that themselves. Local authorities know best.

Or maybe Mary Whitehouse was right after all, and it was about a moral decay as much as an environmental one …

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.