Biggest shithole in manchester?

My Great Grandmother (Mother’s, Mother’s Mother) was from Newton Heath. Also, my last girlfriend lives in that little area of terraces between the Holiday Inn and the old Gibraltar/Kippax pub. It’s still alright around there, streets are clean and houses are looked after.

Just around the corner from there, those streets they did up that was on BBC’s ‘DIY SOS Big Build’ on New Street and Canada Street looks great (although is that Bradford rather than NH?)

It is a shame to see so many areas lose their civic pride though.

That’s one thing I do like about Wythenshawe. I feel like we get a bad rep but generally people look after their houses and flats around here (I’m in Baguley). I even find Civic itself to be very clean and tidy. I find round here much cleaner and tidier and better presented by residents than the further into the core city you get.

There’s just one local dickhead who keeps tagging ‘AIDZ’ or ‘ADZ’ or whatever it says, everywhere round here. I hope I catch him one day, I’ll strap the **** to the front of a Met on a freezing day, throw a bucket of water over him and leave him there to freeze his tagging little hands off.

I despise graffiti, me. I think it looks bloody awful and degrades an area’s aesthetics massively.

To even that out, I did see a local group out litter picking around Baguley Park a few weeks ago. Just local residents who get together to do it. Also seen a similar group doing the same in Woodhouse Park over the Summer.

Years ago the council commissioned a local street artist to do some “graffiti” underneath the motorway bridge between the Post House and Wythenshawe Park. A figure of 10 grand comes to mind that they paid him but can’t be sure. Anyway, a few days later the graffiti removing council people spotted it and painted over it with grey paint.

My earliest years was in Chorlton on Medlock, there was a croft at the end of the street.
We used to play in the wrecked car with smashed windows. If I remember correctly most houses had impressive steps that were donkey stoned.
Absolute shit hole in slum Manchester but a pride in the street appearance all the same.
All Saints was once a very beautiful area

7AD7C7EE-E6A9-4F63-9F00-777C0D59E2DC.jpeg

Here it is in the 1920s. No way were they slums.

All Saints was once a very beautiful area

View attachment 60372

Here it is in the 1920s. No way were they slums.
Bit of a crime what happened to Chorlton-on-Medlock and old Hulme. Far more to do with university expansion than the housing not being fit to live in. I spent part of my childhood in C-o-M too, in the new housing that replaced the terraces. The maisonettes by the side of the Mancunian Way basically. Some of my earliest memories are of walking past the warehouse at Grosvenor Street and through Ardwick Green on the way to nursery at Stockport Road, where Longsight cop shop is now.

Agreed.
I presume a lot of the decay of inner cities were after the war. I lived in Chorlton on Medlock till I was probably 5 years old so my memory is sketchy. I lived in Benchill, Collyhurst, Cheetham Hill , and Kennett House at the bottom of Smedley lane, Harpurhey and Moston. Obviously growing up it was fine as that is all I knew but I am glad I moved away when I was 18.
My dad lived in chorlton on medlock think they were bombed out & moved to moat road benchill

My Great Grandmother (Mother’s, Mother’s Mother) was from Newton Heath. Also, my last girlfriend lives in that little area of terraces between the Holiday Inn and the old Gibraltar/Kippax pub. It’s still alright around there, streets are clean and houses are looked after.

Just around the corner from there, those streets they did up that was on BBC’s ‘DIY SOS Big Build’ on New Street and Canada Street looks great (although is that Bradford rather than NH?)

It is a shame to see so many areas lose their civic pride though.

That’s one thing I do like about Wythenshawe. I feel like we get a bad rep but generally people look after their houses and flats around here (I’m in Baguley). I even find Civic itself to be very clean and tidy. I find round here much cleaner and tidier and better presented by residents than the further into the core city you get.

There’s just one local dickhead who keeps tagging ‘AIDZ’ or ‘ADZ’ or whatever it says, everywhere round here. I hope I catch him one day, I’ll strap the **** to the front of a Met on a freezing day, throw a bucket of water over him and leave him there to freeze his tagging little hands off.

I despise graffiti, me. I think it looks bloody awful and degrades an area’s aesthetics massively.

To even that out, I did see a local group out litter picking around Baguley Park a few weeks ago. Just local residents who get together to do it. Also seen a similar group doing the same in Woodhouse Park over the Summer.
I live in WHP, there’s many pockets of roads where neighbours keep their area neat and tidy, obviously you get the odd resident that no matter how much you hint they will not cut their hedges even though they are younger than me by 30 years but will not get off their lazy backsides to do it. My sister lives in Baguley, her road is really nice. I often joke with her and ask what date‘s the barrier being installed at the top of the road allowing residents of Glebelands to enter only:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.