Biggest shithole in manchester?

Thanks for that reply. Yes, I’ve seen some of the footage of Hulme Crescents and it’s a wonder they expected anyone to make a success of life there, though I’m sure some folk did. An era when decisions were made about people, for people, without people having a say - by people who would never in a million years live in properties like that themselves. Local authorities know best.

Or maybe Mary Whitehouse was right after all, and it was about a moral decay as much as an environmental one …
In the Crescents, 97% of the people moved into them applied to be moved out within one year!

I watched a programme a few years ago that was a competition to find Britain’s best village.

What I noticed in every single one of them was that people weren’t just taking responsibility for their own houses and gardens but also the pavement, railings and street in front of them n’all.

One fella was painting the railings on the end of his road and the presenter asked why he was doing it and he said ‘well the Council are busy enough and need to spend their money elsewhere, and nobody else is going to do it, so I decided I should with the spare paint I had in my shed. It’s good for everyone in the village’.

It’s not like all these villages all have well-off people living in them neither. There wasn’t anything that would suggest most of the houses were worth that much or owned by anyone with any money behind them. Just that they had pride in where they came from and so looked after it.

You’d be hard pushed to find three houses in a row that looked after their front door in some areas of Manchester. Could you imagine that 60-80 years ago?

When my Mother lived in Moss Side she said nobody had any money at all but every house was well presented and the streets were clean and tidy, looked after by the people who lived down those streets. She said it was like that until about the 1970s.

People have got no pride in themselves, their homes or their areas anymore in a lot of places these days around Manchester.

Before anyone says 'It's Newton Heath ffs' .... bear with me. Top end of NH, around Brookdale Park, especially the Windsor Rd conservation area is still a very desirable part. All large Victorian houses, many of which avoided being split into flats in the 70's/80's like around Didsbury etc, and are still large family homes.
My family home while being post war semis, not Victorian, is on a cul de sac that was known as being 'posh'. Albert Gardens.... it wasn't really posh, just very well kept homes.

My old man (a true Blue!) is still there, so I go down every week. It's saddening to see how, in a reflection of so many other areas and streets discussed on here, it has deteriorated in recent years.

Overgrown gardens, even those paved over are rife with weeds growing through. Plants and bushes are growing wild. Window frames etc are dirty and uncared for. My aunt lived on the same close until her death a couple of years ago. She was SO garden proud and kept it immaculate. It's now got it's wheelie bins lined up under it's bay window, an oversized trampoline takes up most of the front garden too ...

Her home, like many have been snapped up by ''developers'' and rented out. Next door to my dad's, another that had been a beloved family home until recently, also bought by such developers, now has a family of around seven people (three bed semi ffs!) in there. Old bed sheets on the windows up and downstairs as curtains (still, the overgrown privet hedges will hide them soon ...).... bags of rubbish left all over the front garden ... rear one like a jungle.

Absolutely zero civic pride. But hey, many seem to think it's the way forward!

Before anyone says 'It's Newton Heath ffs' .... bear with me. Top end of NH, around Brookdale Park, especially the Windsor Rd conservation area is still a very desirable part. All large Victorian houses, many of which avoided being split into flats in the 70's/80's like around Didsbury etc, and are still large family homes.
My family home while being post war semis, not Victorian, is on a cul de sac that was known as being 'posh'. Albert Gardens.... it wasn't really posh, just very well kept homes.

My old man (a true Blue!) is still there, so I go down every week. It's saddening to see how, in a reflection of so many other areas and streets discussed on here, it has deteriorated in recent years.

Overgrown gardens, even those paved over are rife with weeds growing through. Plants and bushes are growing wild. Window frames etc are dirty and uncared for. My aunt lived on the same close until her death a couple of years ago. She was SO garden proud and kept it immaculate. It's now got it's wheelie bins lined up under it's bay window, an oversized trampoline takes up most of the front garden too ...

Her home, like many have been snapped up by ''developers'' and rented out. Next door to my dad's, another that had been a beloved family home until recently, also bought by such developers, now has a family of around seven people (three bed semi ffs!) in there. Old bed sheets on the windows up and downstairs as curtains (still, the overgrown privet hedges will hide them soon ...).... bags of rubbish left all over the front garden ... rear one like a jungle.

Absolutely zero civic pride. But hey, many seem to think it's the way forward!
My Great Grandmother (Mother’s, Mother’s Mother) was from Newton Heath. Also, my last girlfriend lives in that little area of terraces between the Holiday Inn and the old Gibraltar/Kippax pub. It’s still alright around there, streets are clean and houses are looked after.

Just around the corner from there, those streets they did up that was on BBC’s ‘DIY SOS Big Build’ on New Street and Canada Street looks great (although is that Bradford rather than NH?)

It is a shame to see so many areas lose their civic pride though.

That’s one thing I do like about Wythenshawe. I feel like we get a bad rep but generally people look after their houses and flats around here (I’m in Baguley). I even find Civic itself to be very clean and tidy. I find round here much cleaner and tidier and better presented by residents than the further into the core city you get.

There’s just one local dickhead who keeps tagging ‘AIDZ’ or ‘ADZ’ or whatever it says, everywhere round here. I hope I catch him one day, I’ll strap the **** to the front of a Met on a freezing day, throw a bucket of water over him and leave him there to freeze his tagging little hands off.

I despise graffiti, me. I think it looks bloody awful and degrades an area’s aesthetics massively.

To even that out, I did see a local group out litter picking around Baguley Park a few weeks ago. Just local residents who get together to do it. Also seen a similar group doing the same in Woodhouse Park over the Summer.

My Great Grandmother (Mother’s, Mother’s Mother) was from Newton Heath. Also, my last girlfriend lives in that little area of terraces between the Holiday Inn and the old Gibraltar/Kippax pub. It’s still alright around there, streets are clean and houses are looked after.

Just around the corner from there, those streets they did up that was on BBC’s ‘DIY SOS Big Build’ on New Street and Canada Street looks great (although is that Bradford rather than NH?)

It is a shame to see so many areas lose their civic pride though.

That’s one thing I do like about Wythenshawe. I feel like we get a bad rep but generally people look after their houses and flats around here (I’m in Baguley). I even find Civic itself to be very clean and tidy. I find round here much cleaner and tidier and better presented by residents than the further into the core city you get.

There’s just one local dickhead who keeps tagging ‘AIDZ’ or ‘ADZ’ or whatever it says, everywhere round here. I hope I catch him one day, I’ll strap the **** to the front of a Met on a freezing day, throw a bucket of water over him and leave him there to freeze his tagging little hands off.

I despise graffiti, me. I think it looks bloody awful and degrades an area’s aesthetics massively.

To even that out, I did see a local group out litter picking around Baguley Park a few weeks ago. Just local residents who get together to do it. Also seen a similar group doing the same in Woodhouse Park over the Summer.

The craze of graffiti/tagging seemed to be an 80s thing and died out. But feck me, the city centre is riddled with it. Many suburban areas too.
I know some say it's an artform, but it really is just utter shite and an eyesore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.