Biggest shithole in manchester?

The smell from the glue factory between Denton and Hyde made the area the biggest shithole I’ve ever lived in, if the wind was blowing in my direction. I’ve lived all over the world but no aroma has surpassed that.

That’s one thing I do like about Wythenshawe. I feel like we get a bad rep but generally people look after their houses and flats around here (I’m in Baguley). I even find Civic itself to be very clean and tidy. I find round here much cleaner and tidier and better presented by residents than the further into the core city you get.
That‘s because all the scrotes jib on the tram and burgle houses in Didsbury and Chorlton!

In the late 80's I went to look at the HVAC system a new sort of primary school in Hulme ....I think it was (a massive council estate). It was fucking horrible. I assume it's still the same.
The outdoor condensing unit was behind a fence with prison type bars and barbed wire at the top. There was all these kids arriving with what looked like mothers aged 15 or 16 , It was pissing down as well. Very depressing.
Lots of students and gentrifiers in Hulme these days. Sounds like it's Hulme Crescents you're describing, a place that looked apocalyptic at night but was pulled down not so long after you were there and is unrecognisable now. Shithole (although I don't like the word myself as every area has its good and bad) is relative in Manchester these days. Yes we have deprivation but the price of property and lifestyle trends are changing Manchester, so more and more inner city areas are attracting middle class homebuyers. Can't afford Didsbury, how about Levenshulme? Too late for Levy? OK then, Gorton. Didn't move fast enough? How about Openshaw - and on it goes, with people having to adjust their horizons all the time like they have to in London. Pilots used to live in Hale and Bramhall, but with wages not keeping pace with property you now find them in Wythenshawe. The new housing they are building in Moss Side, Miles Platting, Collyhurst is not aimed at social housing tenants and if they have to rename it to break with the past they will. Look at our Blues - 20 years ago it would be unthinkable that Pep and so many players would be living in town and Salford instead of the 'Golden Triangle', but now people want to be in the centre.

If the trend continues I reckon we'll see more and more poverty pushed out of Manchester to more depopulated, less well connected places further into the outskirts, like in the overspill days, or like Paris.

Last edited:
Certain parts around North Manchester have definitely gone a bit downhill over the last 20 years or so. I grew up on Langley which, like a lot of council estates was a bit rough and ready, but never felt unsafe and I had a cracking childhood with a lot of cracking people. My few visits back over the last few years have always left me with a bit of a tinge of sadness though. The plastic gangsters and the general moodiness in and around Middleton is a shame but I doubt its any different to a thousand other places up and down the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.