Bitcoin (cryptocurrency)

GBTC or OBTC...takes the work out of it and you can buy or sell it all day long
not true, gbtc trades at a premium to bitcoin, and has a 6 month lock in.
Not familiar with OBTC

There is a fund available on DEgiro that can be traded as you suggest, but the spread is many times a bitcoin exchange which is 1 cent on an asset worth 40000 dollars, so you would just be throwing money away

Last edited:
not true, gbtc trades at a premium to bitcoin, and has a 6 month lock in.
Not familiar with OBTC
Trade it, as in BUY IT, anytime you want from a brokerage account.

OBTC is the new challenger to Grayscale, called Osprey, which is supposed to charge 0.5% instead of 2%.

For novices, trading these is much easier than trying open multiple accounts, open wallets, and remember encryption passwords, IMHO.

To move bitcoin from the exchange to your own custody.
You need a wallet.

There are 2 kinds of wallet, hot or cold.

Hot just means that you have the wallet on your computer, or phone.
Cold means your wallet is on a dedicated usb, which is not connected to the internet.

Most people have both hot and cold, the hot wallet will generally have a very small amount of coin for everyday use, whilst major funds are kept in the cold wallet.
The reason for people having both is the fact that if your computer is hacked, or stolen your bitcoin is at risk.

HOT WALLLET
There are many brands of hot wallets I use Electrum available from electrum.org, they are free and you do not need any coin to download wallet.

COLD WALLET
Again many different brands, most popular are Trezor and Ledger. These cost around £80
Do not be tempted to buy on ebay etc, as they can be tampered with, only buy from official company.

SETUP

Whatever, hot or cold the setup is the same and simple.
Follow the instructions at each step, and remember they are not joking when they ask you to write down the seed phrase they will provide you with.

At the end of setup they will ask you to choose a password.

So you now have a password and seed phrase (a seed phrase is 12 words provided by the wallet)
to get your head round this just think the following>

The password relates to the actual device your wallet is on(computer, phone, Trezor, etc), and the seed phrase is not needed whilst you are using the original device.

The SEED PHRASE though is the be all and end all.
If you lose access to the original device, you can regain access by just installing another wallet and entering the seed phrase.

Thanks. How do you get your £175m out of Bitcoin and into the bank ?

Pretty much a given, bitcoin is increasingly seen as a store of value, just like gold.

It doesn’t actually have any intrinsic value though and is basically based on the trust of the people in the system set up. We could set up a BMcrypto currency between us as I think there are 70,000 users - I’m sure Ric would be up for it..

It doesn’t actually have any intrinsic value though and is basically based on the trust of the people in the system set up. We could set up a BMcrypto currency between us as I think there are 70,000 users - I’m sure Ric would be up for it.
It is not as hard as you think to make your own coin, I have coded my own coin in less than an hour, of course it is not worth anything. THere are many tutorials on the internet how to.

Thanks. How do you get your £175m out of Bitcoin and into the bank ?

You’ll need to send the Bitcoin in your wallet to the exchange. So if you have an account with Coinbase (an Exchange) for example, you click on deposit bitcoin within Coinbase, it will generate an address for you to send it to. Send your Bitcoin to that address and it will then show in your Bitcoin balance in your Coinbase portfolio. On the exchange you then sell the Bitcoin for £ or whatever it is you want, then from there send your £‘s from the exchange to your bank account.

That is one way anyay.

@algarveblue.

I know you were jesting, but the idea of a bluemoon coin is brilliant, it would be a fantastic way to get funds for the running of the forum.
A lot of thought would have to be put in as to how it would work, and it would not be compulsory, so the forum would carry on as is.
It would be revolutionary, but I would wager when it got going, it would slaughter donating based football forums for collecting running costs.

@algarveblue.

I know you were jesting, but the idea of a bluemoon coin is brilliant, it would be a fantastic way to get funds for the running of the forum.
A lot of thought would have to be put in as to how it would work, and it would not be compulsory, so the forum would carry on as is.
It would be revolutionary, but I would wager when it got going, it would slaughter donating based football forums for collecting running costs.
I think the problem you/Ric would have is that it is inevitable in the near future that cryptocurrency will come under FCA /BOE regulations at some point to at the very least stop private investors from getting burned whilst institutional investors would most likely be allowed a freer reign as they should have a better understanding of risk in financial instruments.

it’s a nice thought but suspect it would require Ric for example to set up all sorts of checks and balances and registrations/paper work which would be a colossal undertaking even if he did have any interest in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.