Blood pressure

I'm reluctant to go to my see my a doctor at my surgery because almost any ailment I have they'll wanna prescribe me some tablets for it because they have a vested interest in pharmaceutical companies who give them a nice bung for prescribing their products.

About 4 years ago i had high blood pressure and my doctor wanted to get me on statins which i refused. I wouldn't mind but my high blood pressure was a one off and not something i have a history of. I have slightly higher than normal cholesterol levels for a guy of my age though. If i have to go on statins and other tablets i will but only as a last resort.

I prefer to try and eat the right food and drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and flush out toxins. I believe in natural remedies and take them rather than prescribed medication. I used to eat a lot of porridge for breakfast as it's one of the very best foods for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, i need to start eating it again. I've also read that eating grapefruit is good for reducing high blood pressure which I've started eating. I should try and stop smoking though...

I'm reluctant to go to my see my a doctor at my surgery because almost any ailment I have they'll wanna prescribe me some tablets for it because they have a vested interest in pharmaceutical companies who give them a nice bung for prescribing their products.

About 4 years ago i had high blood pressure and my doctor wanted to get me on statins which i refused. I wouldn't mind but my high blood pressure was a one off and not something i have a history of. I have slightly higher than normal cholesterol levels for a guy of my age though. If i have to go on statins and other tablets i will but only as a last resort.

I prefer to try and eat the right food and drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and flush out toxins. I believe in natural remedies and take them rather than prescribed medication. I used to eat a lot of porridge for breakfast as it's one of the very best foods for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, i need to start eating it again. I've also read that eating grapefruit is good for reducing high blood pressure which I've started eating. I should try and stop smoking though...
Statins and grapefruit don't mix...

Other than that, side-effects of statins are exaggerated - unless you get them! (Start with a low dose though, 20mg)

Travel insurance is a beggar though. Even mild heart problems can get you into the "high risk" category, and all the insurers seem to use the same program.

But I had high cholesterol (7). The GP ran my stats (BMI, weight, exercise, non-smoker, moderate drinking etc) through an Edinburgh University program, and said I had a 14% chance of cardiovascular or heart disease within the next ten years. "What if I get it down to 5?" 13% chance. "What's the average for a man of my age?" 12 years. In the end statins seemed easier than bottles of Benecol, and cutting out too much of the unhealthy food.

Then try the pre-diabetic course: "Divide the (mock) foods on the table into good and bad foods..." They were all on the bad end! But hard cheese is worse than soft cheese. "What if I put the Camembert in the microwave so it goes runny?"

I can only get a reasonable evening bp reading after i have taken my night meds and am sleepy , i wind myself up doing it earlier because i know the evening one is much higher ,it is my racing heart that is worrying me , 100 at rest and in the night , 130 on moving around from sitting / resting , will ask for heart check up later , heart attacks in the family

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.