Blood pressure

Don’t smoke.

Eat well.

Limit takeaways, caffeine and ready meals.

Try to eat bananas, bread, Greek yoghurt and dark chocolate regularly.

Drink red wine.

Walk if you can.

Saw my nurse yesterday , to have a 24hr blood pressure machine and ecg in two weeks time then a drs call or appt for the results , told me to stop taking it at home as i am winding myself up in the evenings , true

Upped citalopram to help with my anxiety about all this and other things going on at the moment

Annual blood test results came the other week and Surgery arranged a telecon with a doctor because of my cholesterol levels.

Blood pressure taken at the surgery was high, which it normally is when they take it, so took ten days of home readings day and night and submitted them (they are normal).

Two weeks later, Dr called this afternoon and said Cholesterol is 5.34 and wanted to prescribe Astavastatins @ 20mg.
I declined as have a family member who works for NHS who tells me that there have been some serious issues with this drug.

Anyway, I now sit with a 17.2 % risk of Heart attack and/or stroke over the next ten years.

Told doc I would examine my diet and see what next years blood tests reveal.

Blood Pressure in November 128/79……not bad for 69 year old……..decided on a few lifestyle changes, gave up alcohol, coffee, takeaways and shite food……..started on healthy foods, vegetables and fruit, loads of water, early nights 8 hours sleep, exercising, the full trip…….
.went for my health MOT last night, Blood Pressure 167/100…..!!!!
Doctor very concerned……..wtf?

Blood Pressure in November 128/79……not bad for 69 year old……..decided on a few lifestyle changes, gave up alcohol, coffee, takeaways and shite food……..started on healthy foods, vegetables and fruit, loads of water, early nights 8 hours sleep, exercising, the full trip…….
.went for my health MOT last night, Blood Pressure 167/100…..!!!!
Doctor very concerned……..wtf?
Best you give up coke and hookers

I have dealt with this issue for years so can offer some comments, obviously see a doctor if you are worried.

I have to pass a fairly stringent firefighter medical every 3 years and always had very high “white coat” readings so have had a BP monitor at home for years.

It’s a good idea to take readings at home at different times to see what happens over a few months.

Some things will lower your blood pressure temporarily, eg. donating blood, drinking raw beetroot juice, even meditating and taking very long slow breaths for a few minutes.

For real long term improvement exercise and weight loss are the key. I started cycling to work and noticed a marked improvement (as well as saving money and losing a few kilos).

Everyone knows that too much sodium in our diet is problematic but not many people know that increasing potassium (beans, bananas are good sources) is just as important.
Fiber is also important, a Canadian study gave people with high bp 30 grams of ground flaxseed (linseed) to add to their food and it lowered bp by about 10 points in all participants.
I have 30 grams every day (it’s easy enough to eat in porridge or yoghurt) and combined with some other minor lifestyle changes I am now sitting on 120/80. Used to be all over the place but generally sat around 150/110. I’m 57 for reference.

I am the only adult member of my family not on medication for high blood pressure, so genetics clearly play a big part. Just wanted to offer some encouragement if anyone is interested in the possibility of avoiding or reducing medication, although I am not a doctor and would never try and give anyone medical advice :-)

Last edited:
Annual blood test results came the other week and Surgery arranged a telecon with a doctor because of my cholesterol levels.

Blood pressure taken at the surgery was high, which it normally is when they take it, so took ten days of home readings day and night and submitted them (they are normal).

Two weeks later, Dr called this afternoon and said Cholesterol is 5.34 and wanted to prescribe Astavastatins @ 20mg.
I declined as have a family member who works for NHS who tells me that there have been some serious issues with this drug.

Anyway, I now sit with a 17.2 % risk of Heart attack and/or stroke over the next ten years.

Told doc I would examine my diet and see what next years blood tests reveal.
I think that must be standard proceedure, I was told that 2 years ago. I'm border line diabetic and on Pravastatin 40 mg at evening meal time. I was on the same in the morning but would get a touch light headed when driving.....I'm 63 with good BP but need my sugars levels to come down, latest test showed everything else OK.

Don’t smoke.

Eat well.

Limit takeaways, caffeine and ready meals.

Try to eat bananas, bread, Greek yoghurt and dark chocolate regularly.

Drink red wine.

Walk if you can.
Are you Baz Luhrmann?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.