Blood pressure

Annual blood test results came the other week and Surgery arranged a telecon with a doctor because of my cholesterol levels.

Blood pressure taken at the surgery was high, which it normally is when they take it, so took ten days of home readings day and night and submitted them (they are normal).

Two weeks later, Dr called this afternoon and said Cholesterol is 5.34 and wanted to prescribe Astavastatins @ 20mg.
I declined as have a family member who works for NHS who tells me that there have been some serious issues with this drug.

Anyway, I now sit with a 17.2 % risk of Heart attack and/or stroke over the next ten years.

Told doc I would examine my diet and see what next years blood tests reveal.
im on statins pal and been fine

Realised there is massive amounts of salt in the disperable paracetamol i take , 417 mgs in one and i have been taking six in 24 hrs for a year ! With the crisps every day( on my year of binging ) i reckon it is salt that has pushed my bp up so high , stopped taking it a couple of days ago on advice of pharmacist and hope that the monitor next thurs/fri reflects it

I have lost 12 pounds on keto in a month or so and trying to walk as best as my fibro allows , still have to rest most of the time so a bit limited

Last edited:
Realised there is massive amounts of salt in the disperable paracetamol i take , 417 grams in one and i have been taking six in 24 hrs for a year ! With the crisps every day( on my year of binging ) i reckon it is salt that has pushed my bp up so high , stopped taking it a couple of days ago on advice of pharmacist and hope that the monitor next thurs/fri reflects it

I have lost 12 pounds on keto in a month or so and trying to walk as best as my fibro allows , still have to rest most of the time so a bit limited
hope you mean 417mg or you're gonna have a bit of trouble swallowing.....

Annual blood test results came the other week and Surgery arranged a telecon with a doctor because of my cholesterol levels.

Blood pressure taken at the surgery was high, which it normally is when they take it, so took ten days of home readings day and night and submitted them (they are normal).

Two weeks later, Dr called this afternoon and said Cholesterol is 5.34 and wanted to prescribe Astavastatins @ 20mg.
I declined as have a family member who works for NHS who tells me that there have been some serious issues with this drug.

Anyway, I now sit with a 17.2 % risk of Heart attack and/or stroke over the next ten years.

Take the Statins mate.
I've been on them over 20 years, because my family has history of blocked arteries, usually caused by high cholesterol, had angiogram last year and my arteries are clear.
I'll live forever :)

Last edited:

Diet and exercise first and foremost,statins as a last resort.

They can be as nasty,even debilitating,as they are effective (not one size fits all,ensure you get ones that are most agreeable)

Diet and exercise first and foremost,statins as a last resort.

They can be as nasty,even debilitating,as they are effective (not one size fits all,ensure you get ones that are most agreeable)
Agree. The first I am working on, the second is impossible.

I need to go back to the doc to see if they are only able to prescribe one sort, which was the case with another drug they prescribed me once before, and as I was suffering allergic reactions to it, they took me off them, but couldn't offer me any alternative.

Agree. The first I am working on, the second is impossible.

I need to go back to the doc to see if they are only able to prescribe one sort, which was the case with another drug they prescribed me once before, and as I was suffering allergic reactions to it, they took me off them, but couldn't offer me any alternative.

Apologies buddy,i was talking in general,and not specific to the circumstance you are in.

A good Doc will be more than happy for that discussion.All the best

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.