Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges

Do all deaths in Norther Ireland's period of The Troubles go uninvestigated?

I think in times of conflict, terrible things happen to all people on all sides and that if you try to find justice and restitution for all of those terrible things, you are walking on an endless road.

I think in times of conflict, terrible things happen to all people on all sides and that if you try to find justice and restitution for all of those terrible things, you are walking on an endless road.

So all things are overlooked?

I'd tend to agree except for the fact there are things that happen in times of conflict - WW2 and Yugoslavia - that cannot be just let go. Its where you draw the line and people will all have different places where that line is drawn. At the same time its toxic to allow things to fester.

Its a tough call and when you look at the war crimes results in the Hague and the success of the Truth and Reconciliation Committee's in SA its hard to say that time heals everything. I am noy sure what is the best way.

I don’t think you can just turn a blind eye to previously unpunished crimes though. If, and it is an if at this stage, Soldier F is guilty of the crimes alleged against him then he should face a trial. Quite what punishment should be handed out if guilty remains to be seen, but for the sakes of the families I don’t think this can just be brushed over for the sake of “moving on”.

I don’t think you can just turn a blind eye to previously unpunished crimes though. If, and it is an if at this stage, Soldier F is guilty of the crimes alleged against him then he should face a trial. Quite what punishment should be handed out if guilty remains to be seen, but for the sakes of the families I don’t think this can just be brushed over for the sake of “moving on”.

exactly. That is not the case in respect of other murders, child sex offences, fraud, robbery and so on. However it seems that there are folk that when faced with allegations of murder carried out by someone in a military capacity then that should be considered just "rules of engagement" and not investigated. As distasteful as it is for some the deaths of people on Bloody Sunday should carry the same weight in legal investigation terms to the deaths of people due to current knife crimes or the suffering of kids at the hands of priests or 70's celebrities.

exactly. That is not the case in respect of other murders, child sex offences, fraud, robbery and so on. However it seems that there are folk that when faced with allegations of murder carried out by someone in a military capacity then that should be considered just "rules of engagement" and not investigated. As distasteful as it is for some the deaths of people on Bloody Sunday should carry the same weight in legal investigation terms to the deaths of people due to current knife crimes or the suffering of kids at the hands of priests or 70's celebrities.

Tbf, I can understand where people are coming from in terms of convicted terrorists having been released under the terms of the GFA, which is why I think it’s difficult to say what punishment is appropriate if he was found guilty. In that respect I don’t think it’s quite comparable to the examples you give. It’s a fairly unique, highly sensitive, situation.

If there is corroborating evidence for any of the accounts in the Saville report concerning Lance Corp. F then I think a trial is a must.

However it’s hard to understand how there would be corrobating evidence for him alone as his involvement in several of the shootings seems to be alongside others in the regiment who were also accused.
Could it be his culpability is greater?
It’s hard to understand but the accounts are very damning collectively and particularly in his cases.

I feel from what I’ve read that the culpability had to go higher. What were the instructions given going out there that day.

If found guilty then indeed you are into new territory of sentencing and what time would be served using the GFA as terms of reference. That itself would be contentious.

This will roll on.
I personally like the idea of the Reconciliation Commitee in South Africa but am not entirely sure it would have worked at the time in NI.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.