Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges

I'm eagerly waiting for the suspected perpetrators of the Birmingham and Manchester IRA bombings to face trial in the near future.

@Ric and @bluethrunthru do you think this will be happening any time soon?

If they can be found they would. Unfortunately cack handed illegal efforts by the Police at the time have doubtless meant that will not happen sadly

If they can be found they would. Unfortunately cack handed illegal efforts by the Police at the time have doubtless meant that will not happen sadly

Chris Mullin knows the identity of "The Young Bomber" involved in the Birmingham pub bombings. As he does, I'm fairly sure the police do too. Why isn't he being prosecuted?

The police know who carried out the Manchester bombing. A decision was taken to not prosecute them as they were already in custody. They have all been released since. Why aren't they being prosecuted?

Tbf, I can understand where people are coming from in terms of convicted terrorists having been released under the terms of the GFA, which is why I think it’s difficult to say what punishment is appropriate if he was found guilty. In that respect I don’t think it’s quite comparable to the examples you give. It’s a fairly unique, highly sensitive, situation.

I agree that the army cannot be given a get out jail card which makes them immune from prosecution. I can remember the indignation that I felt, growing up, when US soldiers committed atrocities in Vietnam and escaped with slaps on the wrist.

I think the indignation regarding Soldier F is more because many felt that a line had been drawn as a result of the GFA and we were "moving on"

I've always thought that the people with the most blood on their hands regarding NI were the likes of Adams, Paisley & McGuiness. It would seriously piss me off if Soldier F were to be prosecuted and it were subsequently to emerge that the authorities had enough evidence to prosecute Adams, for example, for a serious crime but declined to do so for political reasons.

Chris Mullin knows the identity of "The Young Bomber" involved in the Birmingham pub bombings. As he does, I'm fairly sure the police do too. Why isn't he being prosecuted?

The police know who carried out the Manchester bombing. A decision was taken to not prosecute them as they were already in custody. They have all been released since. Why aren't they being prosecuted?

I have no idea why? Maybe ask your MP or the relevant authorities who could probably tell you rather than me who can't?

So you agree there is hypocrisy on show here then?

there could be - I don't know the voracity of the claims you made regarding Mullin etc nor do any of us know whether he does know any truth and whether he has been questioned by the Police about it and whether the information he has is actually of any use to them for any prosecution of him and / or anyone else in connection with the events in question. There's a whiff of hypocrisy but nothing concrete.

No they are not being prosecuted because of deals made between the government and Sinn Fein as part of the GFA.

Similar deals will no doubt have been made between the government and loyalist terrorists.

Its an utter disgrace our government now feels its right and in the publics interest as well as the GFA to prosecute soldiers.

One. One soldier. And given the authorities will be inclined to want to do what they did with the rest of the soldiers (and pretty much anyone else in the conflict) and that’s not have a trial and reopen old wounds it does beg the question what was it about the soldier F case that even they felt they had to bring charges.

Downy was found and charged for the Hyde Park bombings only for the trial to be stopped because of a political agreement between the government and Sinn Fein.

This is one example of why people are rightly outraged by this prosecution.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.