Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges

I neither hate the armed forces nor sympathise with terrorists, so I would like to see both Soldier F and the accused Birmingham pub bomber prosecuted if there is sufficient evidence to justify it.
Has anyone argued otherwise?
Seems the anger should be aimed at the people who make these decisions. After all it is them who decides who should face trail and who doesn’t.

Wasn't aimed at you mate. But as you're well aware, Michael Hayes will never be brought to justice for the murder of innocent civilians. Why?.... well, apparently in the interests of peace in NI. Soldier F however, well that seems to be a different matter.
It is not solely Hayes, there are many of these murderous scum who received get off free letters, which is why
there is such outrage. None of the supporters of soldier prosecution appear to share the same outrage against murderous
terrorists, yet they welcome this perversion. If you know this, why would anyone find satisfaction in such one sided justice?

It is not solely Hayes, there are many of these murderous scum who received get off free letters, which is why
there is such outrage. None of the supporters of soldier prosecution appear to share the same outrage against murderous
terrorists, yet they welcome this perversion. If you know this, why would anyone find satisfaction in such one sided justice?

There's a simple explanation to this though it's one I can't get my head round...

There are some people who hate our Armed Forces.

To be honest with you, I'm not that bothered what they think. They're perfectly entitled to hold that view even if it makes no sense at all as over the years many good men have laid down their lives so that these people have got the freedom to be able to express such views.

Oh, and before anyone says this is bullshit, I can tell you I've been verbally abused in the street, spat on by protestors who had set up outside base. I was even called a 'baby murderer' on this forum.

Wasn't aimed at you mate. But as you're well aware, Michael Hayes will never be brought to justice for the murder of innocent civilians. Why?.... well, apparently in the interests of peace in NI. Soldier F however, well that seems to be a different matter.

Yes Soldier F does seem to be a different matter as he has been treated differently to the other soldiers involved and until we know why I will reserve judgement. As for Michael Hayes if the authorities feel there is enough evidence to launch an investigation then they should do so. If they feel there isn’t enough evidence or are minded not to for other reasons then they can say so and we can discuss the merits or otherwise of that decision.

None of this changes the fact that after an investigation, and with a dozen or so soldiers not charged, soldier F was charged. The key question is why was soldier F different? What was it about the evidence against him that the authorities felt they had to bring charges? In the circumstances perhaps it would make sense to wait and see what the evidence is before we pronounce judgement.

Yes Soldier F does seem to be a different matter as he has been treated differently to the other soldiers involved and until we know why I will reserve judgement. As for Michael Hayes if the authorities feel there is enough evidence to launch an investigation then they should do so. If they feel there isn’t enough evidence or are minded not to for other reasons then they can say so and we can discuss the merits or otherwise of that decision.

None of this changes the fact that after an investigation, and with a dozen or so soldiers not charged, soldier F was charged. The key question is why was soldier F different? What was it about the evidence against him that the authorities felt they had to bring charges? In the circumstances perhaps it would make sense to wait and see what the evidence is before we pronounce judgement.

Sorry, but the key question is why isn't Michael Hayes (and others known to have committed terrorist attacks) going to face prosecution but Soldier F is?

You say that Hayes should face prosecution for what he did but you know full well that he won't due to shady dealings between the British Government and the IRA.

The point is, it shouldn't matter what the evidence is against soldier F, if a decision was taken to offer amnesty/ freedom from prosecution
for terrorists, around 200 of them, for the sake of bringing the troubles to a close, then to single out a member of the armed forces, in defiance
of that decision, is perverse.

The point is, it shouldn't matter what the evidence is against soldier F, if a decision was taken to offer amnesty/ freedom from prosecution
for terrorists, around 200 of them, for the sake of bringing the troubles to a close, then to single out a member of the armed forces, in defiance
I completely agree.

We should hold our armed forces in the highest of regard and support them.
We should also hold them to the highest standards and as such we should not tolerate any murders by them.
As for releasing terrorists I don’t agree with that either.
The problem is the same old whitewash and the truth comes out years later when most people in high posts are dead.

Sorry, but the key question is why isn't Michael Hayes (and others known to have committed terrorist attacks) going to face prosecution but Soldier F is?

You say that Hayes should face prosecution for what he did but you know full well that he won't due to shady dealings between the British Government and the IRA.

They are different cases so no it isn’t the key question. Also why do you continually ignore the fact that a dozen or so other soldiers who were investigated for their involvement in Bloody Sunday were not charged? Does it not strike you as significant that despite setting a very high bar for bringing charges, which allowed the other soldiers to avoid prosecution, soldier F was charged?

I didn’t say Hayes should face prosecution. I said he should be investigated to see if there is sufficient evidence to merit charges being brought ie the same procedure that applied to the soldiers in the Bloody Sunday investigation. If the authorities decline to investigate then they can explain why and that explanation can be challenged on behalf of the families seeking justice if necessary.

All you seem to be doing is yelling that soldier F should be excused shooting innocent civilians because we have not tried to bring the people behind the pub bombings to justice (well we did try but the bar for prosecution back in the day was ‘looking a bit Irish’ which is a whole different story). The authorities investigated Bloody Sunday and brought charges against one soldier and excused a dozen other soldiers. No one is demanding that the rest be prosecuted despite the certainty some of the others committed some of the killings. Is that right? Is that fair? Probably not but it’s a messy difficult business and no one has all the fucking answers so for the umpteenth fucking time I’m going to wait until we see what evidence there is and what made the authorities feel they had no option but to bring charges against soldier F and no one else.

Last edited:

A reasonable point. Which begs the question why despite all this they decided to bring charges against one soldier. Not any one else on the day or any other soldier in any other incident (at least as far as I am aware). You really think the authorities were looking to charge anyone 40 years on for Bloody Sunday? You don’t think they would have preferred to have set a very high bar for a successful prosecution and have everyone fail to meet it rather than reopen old wounds and unpack this shit for everyone to pick over? What about the command officers on the day? The decision to employ paratroops? Their state of mind. Where they ‘geed’ up for trouble? That’s all going to come out in any trial because soldier F will have defence lawyers who will argue he is a scapegoat and he shouldn’t have been put in that situation and then the whole sorry mess will be laid bare. So you really think the authorities want that? I don’t and yet despite this they felt they couldn’t overlook this one soldier and what he did on the day and until we do know we are all just guessing in the dark.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.